Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NJ 16288 63466
316288, 863466


Dated 1793 and 1852. Additions and alterations with some

internal remodelling, Thomas Mackenzie, 1852. Tall

2-storey and attic house over raised basement (3-storey,

U-plan rear), 5-bays, S facing. Harled with tooled and

polished ashlar margins and dressings. Plain late 18th

century house with 1852 embellishments, particularly to

upper storey. Advanced and gabled centre bay with 1852

porch approached by flight of steps oversailing raised

basement; pilastered and corniced entrance with florid

Jacobean detailing, lunette and banded obelisk finials;

tall canted 1st floor window above. Plain chamfered

margins to ground and 1st floor windows; carved and

monogrammed pediments to 1852 dormers; corbelled angle

bartizans with conical bellcast fishscale slated roofs;

moulded corbel and string courses; decorative water spouts.

Projecting wing set back at E with raised ground floor

canted oriel with corbelled base decorated with masks

and with corbelled stone roof.

2 rear wings project to form U-plan service court.

Mainly 4-pane glazing. Crowstepped gables; end batteries

of coped stacks with diamond flues; slate roofs. Small

sun porch (circa 1975) at W of house.

INTERIOR- entrance hall re-modelled by Thomas Mackenzie

1852 with arcaded and columned screen, rounded-headed

niches and deep mouldings. Curved 1793 cantilevered

staircase rises full-height with plain balusters and

moulded risers.

DRAWING ROOM: 1852 marble chimneypiece, ceiling cornice

and doorway, flanked by glazed wall cupboards, linking

back sitting room.

DINING ROOM: black marble chimneypiece; simple panelled

dado and mouljded ceiling cornice.

1st FLOOR: some evidence of remodelling of former 1st

floor drawing-room area; 18th century fielded panelled

doors survive in 1st floor.

GATEPIERS (MAIN ENTRANCE): pair plain square ashlar

gatepiers with pulvinated string course, moulded cornice

and ball finials.

WALLED GARDEN: circa 1800 walled garden extends to N of

house; coped rubble walls.

Statement of Special Interest

Newton House built by George Forteath in 1793; it passed

to his nephew Alexander Williamson (who took the name

of Forteath) in 1815. Alexander Forteath was factor for

the Trustees of the Earl of Fife's estates and took an

active role in the public life of Moray. The property

remained in the Forteath family until the 1930s.




ELGIN COURIER, Dec 12, 19, 26, 1851, advertisements for

tender. J and W Watson, MORAYSHIRE DESCRIBED. (1868),

p.110-13. ELGIN COURANT Oct 10, 1854, p.2, obituary of

Thomas Mackenzie.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to NEWTON HOUSE, GATEPIERS AND WALLED GARDEN

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/07/2024 04:53