Early 18th century, 2-storey house with late 18th century
additions; further additions and remodelling circa 1825-30 in
style of William Robertson of Elgin; additions and
'restoration', Bruce and Sutherland, Architects, Banff, 1886.
Harled with tooled and polished ashlar dressings. E facing 7-
bay entrance front with narrow windows with chamfered
margins (earliest portion of house); late 18th century
projecting bowed outer bays; centre entrance re-modelled
1825-30 with centre door flanked by narrow lights and
intermediate pilasters with incised keystoned detailing.
Entrance fronted by circa 1825-30 porte-cochere supported by
4 Greek Doric columns standing on continuous plinth.
5-bay S front with slightly advanced centre 3 bays faced
in tooled ashlar with central niche in 1st floor under
blocking course with centre ornamental urn-like circular
corniced wallhead stack. Elevation fronted by 1825-30
conservatory comprising 4 front and 2 side Greek Doric
columns linked by panelled base course and deep entablature,
infilled with multi-pane glazing. Shallow piended glazed roof terminating with decorative palmette and anthemion cast-iron brattishing.
Mainly 12-pane glazing. Ridge and end stacks; slate roofs.
Walled service area to N with entrance flanked by simple
square gate piers initialled FDS and dated 1886.
INTERIOR: entrane hall divided from inner hall by Greek Doric
screen infilled with later glazing. Stairhall with early 19th
century reconstructed cantilevered staircase with later 19th
century decorative cast-iron balusters.
DRAWING-ROOM: probably 1825-30 decoration and fittings, with
panelled dado, moulded doorpieces, overdoors, panelled window
shutters. Decorative plaster ceiling cornice with some
additional later 19th century moulded borders; white marble
chimneypiece supported by pair caryatids.
DINING-ROOM: re-decorated in late 19th century incorporating
earlier 19th century decorative features such as moulded
doorpieces and overdoors, panelled dado. Late 19th century
CONSERVATORY: simple chimneypiece with re-set 17th or
possibly early 18th century armorial.
Statement of Special Interest
Seat of the Steuarts of Auchlunkart and Forres inherited from
Innes's through heiress (presumably by marriage). House
appears of 3 main stages; centre portion, outer bowed wings
and finally conservatory, porte-cochere and internal
fittings. Later 19th century alterations mainly internal
decorative and service additions. 'Recently improved' by 1798
and 'most commodious' by 1834. William Robertson of Elgin
Known to have been working in parish (and at neighbouring
Orton) between 1826-28. House passed out of Steuart ownership
in 1947. Armorial in conservatory initialled MAD and IG.