Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

BRAEHEAD, CRAIGMAILEN UNITED FREE CHURCH INCLUDING GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLLB22334

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
25/11/1980
Local Authority
Falkirk
Planning Authority
Falkirk
Burgh
Bo'Ness
NGR
NS 99861 81347
Coordinates
299861, 681347

Description

McKissack & Rowan, 1883-5. Simple Early English Gothic aisled church with tall angle-butressed tower with crown spire composed of eight flying buttresses and tall central pinnacle. Squared and snecked bull-faced sandstone with ashlar dressings. Base course, hoodmoulds, pointed arch openings, buttresses.

N (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: near-central gabled section with 2-leaf timber door with pointed arch fanlight set in slightly advanced gable with vine carving reached by flight of steps. Above, large opening with paired bipartite trefoil lancets with cusped vesica above all set in recess. To left, recessed aisle to E. To right, advanced 5-stage tower.

W ELEVATION: 6-bay section with entrance door to left. To far left, tower. To right, lower church hall wing set at right angles.

Predominantly small diamond leaded pane windows. Grey slates. Stack to W elevation.

INTERIOR: 3-bay nave with round-arched arcade supported by cast-iron columns. Open timber boarded ceiling with painted stars. Galleried on 3 sides. Predominantly painted white walls. Pointed arch to chancel, now dominated by large Brindlay & Foster organ. Stone font dated 1885. Gothic timber pulpit and organ. Simple timber communion table and lectern. Timber pews. Stained glass all of circa 1885. To N, large pair or bipartite stained glass windows depict heads of Evangelists. To S, stained glass of St Peter and St Paul, now obscured by organ. Side windows contain floral and fruit motifs.

GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: squared and snecked bull-faced sandstone. Pair of square gatepiers to NW with flat caps. Boundary wall with flat coping to N.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such (2004). A good example of the work of McKissack & Rowan. One of a group of three churches in Bo'ness (St Andrews and the Old Kirk - see separate list descriptions) which are located on a linear axis though the upper part of the town and dominate the skyline with their distinctive spires and elevated position. Craigmailen has a particularly notable crown spire. The interior was altered circa 1900 to accommodate the large organ and the St Peter and Paul windows were obscured.

References

Bibliography

2nd Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1894-6). RIBA Fellowship Nomination Papers (March 4, 1907) f.75. SCOTLAND (2002) p249. W F Hendrie, BO'NESS IN OLD PICTURE POSTCARDS VOLUME 2 (1990) No 50. F Hendrie, BO'NESS THE FAIR TOWN (1998) p49. R Jaques, FALKIRK AND DISTRICT (2001) p140. Gifford & Walker, THE BUILDINGS OF SCOTLAND - STIRLING AND CENTRAL W

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BRAEHEAD, CRAIGMAILEN UNITED FREE CHURCH INCLUDING GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 28/07/2021 08:41