Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

RATTRAY (OLD), HIGH STREET, RATTRAY CHURCH OF SCOTLAND PARISH CHURCH, GRAVEYARD, WALLS, GATEPIERS AND GATESLB22329

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
09/06/1981
Local Authority
Perth And Kinross
Planning Authority
Perth And Kinross
Burgh
Blairgowrie And Rattray
NGR
NO 18980 45690
Coordinates
318980, 745690

Description

Early 19th century and later. Rubble walls enclosing church and graveyard.

Gravestones predominantly simple moulded apex style, some with traditional emblems of mortality; classically-detailed carving including weathered stone with semicircular head containing scallop shell; memorial to Archibald Ferguson who died at Hatton of Rattray 1874, with trumpeting angel on pediment. Single table stone heavily eroded with broken supports.

Roofless rubble burial vault with pointed-arch gateway to W, various early 19th century mural monuments including sarcophagus style monument worded 'IN THIS CRYPT ARE THE REMAINS OF MANY OF THE WHITSONS OF PARKHILL WHO DIED BEFORE 1900'.

Rattray family enclosure with low walls and inset railings, and blind arcade of red sandstone ashlar with centre arch decoratively moulded with engaged colonettes and surmounted by family crest. Memorial records family history back to 'Alan De Ratrief 1210'.

Craighall enclosure to W wall with decorative cast-iron railings, marble mural tablets including 'RATTRAY OF CORAL BANK'.

Commonwealth War Graves from WWI, Colour Sergeant John Grubb, Private W McFarlane and Private James Ramsay; WWII, Senior Commander Charlotte Elizabeth Clerk Rattray and Private Peter Baynes.

BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND GATES: semicircular-coped rubble boundary walls with dome-capped square-section ashlar gatepiers and decorative ironwork gates.

Statement of Special Interest

Group with Rattray Parish Church.

References

Bibliography

Commonwealth War Graves Commission.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to RATTRAY (OLD), HIGH STREET, RATTRAY CHURCH OF SCOTLAND PARISH CHURCH, GRAVEYARD, WALLS, GATEPIERS AND GATES

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/06/2024 22:38