Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

RATTRAY (OLD), HIGH STREET, RATTRAY CHURCH OF SCOTLAND PARISH CHURCHLB22328

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
05/10/1971
Local Authority
Perth And Kinross
Planning Authority
Perth And Kinross
Burgh
Blairgowrie And Rattray
NGR
NO 18980 45705
Coordinates
318980, 745705

Description

William Stirling of Dunblane, dated 1820 (church and tower), restored 1879. Rectangular-plan church with 4-bay aisless nave and slim 5-stage Italianate tower. Dark, snecked whinstone rubble (some Aberdeen bond) with contrasting droved red sandstone ashlar margins and quoin strips; rendered to E. Eaves course. Round-headed, simple-traceried windows; pilaster strips; voussoirs; chamfered reveals. Dividing band courses and raised margins to tower.

W (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: gable end with entrance tower (see below) projecting at centre and windows in flanking bays, that to right blocked with corniced WWI memorial at cill; window to left partly obscured by low M-gabled session house with window to each gable.

TOWER: 1st stage with datestone to W and panelled timber door to S giving way to 2nd stage with windows to W, N (both blocked) and S; small square windows to N, S (both blocked) and W of 3rd stage and clock face to N and W of 4th stage (that to S apparently removed); tall belfry at 5th stage with 2 slender louvered openings to each elevation surmounted by weathervane-finialled swept Italianate roof.

S ELEVATION: 4 tall regularly-disposed nave windows with datestone high up at centre and outer pilaster strips.

N ELEVATION: 3 tall regularly-disposed nave windows and outer pilaster strips.

E ELEVATION: rendered gabled elevation with 2 tall windows (that to left blocked and that to right part-blocked) flanking top of altered? centre window and low piended projection (boiler house) with catslide roof and tall brick stack to right, panelled timber door on return to left.

Diamond-pattern leaded glazing, some coloured (see Interior). Grey slates. Ashlar-coped skews to W and overhanging eaves to E. Square-section cast-iron downpipe with decorative rainwater hopper to SE.

INTERIOR: little altered interior with 3-sided gallery on cast-iron columns facing ogee-canopied octagonal timber pulpit to S with steep stair, decorative ironwork balusters and gilded eagle surmounting timber finial; fixed timber pews to ground and gallery, panelled gallery front and dadoes. Plain cornices. Mural monuments include bronze plaque to 'Donald Cargill of Hatton of Rattray' and marble tablet memorial to 3 generations of the Herdman family, Ministers of Rattray parish. Carved (re-cut?) stone memorial with heraldic emblems, Latin inscription and initials 'MSR', dated 1623-67. Weathered gravestone of 1710, 'Boat Stone', bearing Latin inscription commemorating last ferry woman of The Ericht. Stewart Memorial Windows and Communion Table: window to right of pulpit depicting 'The Good Samaritan' (Luke 10:33), in memory of John Stewart of New Rattray: window to left depicting 'Water of Life' parable (Rev 21:6) commemorating Alexander Stewart.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Formerly listed as Rattray East Church. Churchyard and enclosing walls are listed separately. John Stewart, commemorated in the furnishings, 'died from effects of a Gun Accident 4th Oct 1852 aged 28', and Alexander Stewart 'Born in this Parish 26 Jul 1822 / Died at his residence 23 Blacket Place, Edinburgh 13 Nov 1896'.

References

Bibliography

NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT VOL X, p246. Hay POST REFORMATION CHURCHES, p270. Heritor's Records.

SCOTTISH GUARDIAN VOL I (1879), pp138 and 150. N Haynes PERTH AND KINROSS (2000), p172

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to RATTRAY (OLD), HIGH STREET, RATTRAY CHURCH OF SCOTLAND PARISH CHURCH

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/06/2024 22:28