Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Perth And Kinross
Planning Authority
Perth And Kinross
Blairgowrie And Rattray
NO 17787 45295
317787, 745295


Early 19th century; reconstructed by W J Brewster Grant and Henderson of Blairgowrie, 1939; lesser hall at rear by John Carver of Kinloch, 1860. 2-storey, 7-bay above ground (bays grouped 2-3-2), classically-detailed town hall in irregular terrace to SE. Ashlar, snecked rubble and harl. Base and band courses, eaves cornice. Moulded doorways.

NE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: centre bays at ground floor with window and flanking consoled doorways with deep-set 2-leaf panelled timber doors, that to right with inscription worded 'TOWN HALL RECONSTRUCTED MCMXXIX' and that to left with 'BLAIRGOWRIE AND RATTRAY'; further windows to centre of broad outer bays. Regular fenestration to 1st floor punctuated by Ionic-pilastered bays flanking centre, each with decorative ironwork balcony incorporating cast cameo picture, French window behind and deep-corniced block pediment breaking eaves above.

NW ELEVATION: gabled bay to left with timber door and 2-leaf fanlight to outer left.

12-pane glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Coped ashlar and harl stacks with cans; ashlar-coped skews with block skewputts; cast-iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers.

INTERIOR: vestibule with ashlar doorpieces and marble plaque worded 'TO THE PEOPLE OF BLAIRGOWRIE, RATTRAY AND DISTRICT IN COMMEMORATION OF THE HOSPITALITY SHOWN TO THE POLISH TANK CORPS DURING, 1940-42'. Plain hall with stage and balcony.

Statement of Special Interest

The Public Hall (or rear hall) foundation stone was laid by 'His Grace the Duke of Athole' on 20th October, 1860, with a banquet after at Queen's (Macpherson's) Hotel. The Town Hall formerly incorporated 'Police Cells and Town Officer's House'.



DUNDEE ADVERTISER (23rd October, 1860). J Macdonald HISTORY OF BLAIRGOWRIE (1899), p57. VALUATION ROLLS (1899-1900). 1st Edition ORDNANCE SURVEY MAP (1865).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BROWN STREET, TOWN HALL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/07/2024 07:35