Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

28 BROWN STREETLB22305

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
05/10/1971
Local Authority
Perth And Kinross
Planning Authority
Perth And Kinross
Burgh
Blairgowrie And Rattray
NGR
NO 17684 45340
Coordinates
317684, 745340

Description

Circa 1830, possibly with mid to later 19th century addition to rear. 2-storey, 3-bay house with fine banking hall (later). Coursed, squared rubble with stone cills, rubble to sides and rear. Base and eaves courses.

NE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical. Centre bay at ground with moulded doorway, panelled timber door and plate glass fanlight, windows in flanking bays and regular fenestration to 1st floor; 2 modern rooflights above.

SW (REAR) ELEVATION: full-width lower piend-roofed extension/wing? with modern glazed door to left and further harled piend-roofed projection (former ancillary) at right.

SE AND NW ELEVATIONS: blank gabled elevations with garages abutting at ground.

Out-of-character PVCu glazing. Grey slates. Coped ashlar stacks with thackstanes and some cans; ashlar-coped skews with block skewputts.

INTERIOR: rare retention of largely intact banking hall (see Notes) with decorative plasterwork cornices and centre rose; vertically-panelled walls with fine carved wood-effect Lincrusta dado depicting variety of insects, birds and flowers; stencilled panels to doors and soffits. Timber fire surround (not original) with flanking wall cupboards, that to left lined with shelves and pigeon holes, that to right with strong room. Decorative cast-iron inlet vent to air conditioning system and push-buttons for communication system.

Statement of Special Interest

Group with Nos 21, 26 and Old Bank House. The surprisingly fine banking hall attached to such a modest house is thought to be the precursor of the nearby 'Old Bank House', built for the Commercial Bank in 1837. If this is correct, the above-detailed interior has been altered as stylistically the Lincrusta dado belongs to the latter part of the 19th century. In 1834 the house was built by Thomas Robertson, merchant and bank agent of Blairgowrie, on ground belonging to John Brown (hence the name of the street). The banking business was removed to the nearby 'Old Bank House' in 1837. The current owner (2002) has ledgers relating to banking (found in the safe) dating from 1842. During WWII the house was used by the Polish army.

References

Bibliography

Information courtesy of owners. REGISTER OF SASINE (3rd June, 1834). 1st Edition ORDNANCE SURVEY MAP (1865).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 28 BROWN STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 24/07/2024 05:03