Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

31 - 37 (ODD NOS) HIGH STREET FORMER INSTITUTE AND LIBRARYLB22296

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
09/06/1981
Supplementary Information Updated
04/09/2003
Local Authority
Perth And Kinross
Planning Authority
Perth And Kinross
Burgh
Blairgowrie And Rattray
NGR
NO 17794 45284
Coordinates
317794, 745284

Description

Alex Johnstone of Dundee, 1870. 3-storey with basement, 4-bay Mechanics Institute and Library with shops at ground (upper floors converted to flats circa 1975), closing terrace to SW. Polished ashlar and rubble. Mutuled eaves cornice and pyramidal roof. Four-centre-arched door and windows, latter set into similarly-arched vertical panels with dividing pilaster-like strips. Stepped raked cills. Hoodmould with block label stops. Stone mullions and stop-chamfered arrises.

SE (HIGH STREET) ELEVATION: centre bay at ground with hoodmoulded doorway incorporating blind panel at centre with flanking circular detail enclosing blind shield, and deep-set 2-leaf panelled timber door with plate glass fanlight. Traditional shop front to left with deep-set door at outer left, bay to right mirrors the above. 4 bipartite windows to each floor above with blind shield in moulded panel between floors at each bay, and small circular detail to each 2nd floor windowhead.

NE ELEVATION: asymmetrically-fenestrated elevation with dominant shouldered wallhead stack at centre.

Plate glass glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Coped ashlar stacks, that to SW truncated.

INTERIOR: stone-flagged hall and 2-leaf part-glazed screen door leading to stairhall with cantilevered dog-leg staircase, decoratively-finialled square-section newel posts, barley twist cast-iron balusters and some boarded dadoes. Fine decorative plasterwork and architraved doors with moulded panels. Basement below No 37 (see Notes) with partly blocked bakers oven.

Statement of Special Interest

No 37 is now connected with the adjacent No 41 (listed separately). Evidence of wording on stone at main door, with 'WORKING MEN'S CLUB' and 'PUBLIC READING ROOM'. Originally with library at first floor, and mechanics institute at second, the building was erected at a cost of #850. The 'Working Men's Library' began in 1853 in a small room at Leslie Street, and moved to the new premises in 1870. The new library had over 3000 volumes, and in September 1890 received a donation of #100 from Andrew Carnegie for the purchase of more books. On 2nd November, 1896 a billiard table was introduced to the amusement room.

References

Bibliography

R H Harper VICTORIAN ARCHITECTURAL COMPETITIONS (1983), p18. J Macdonald HISTORY OF BLAIRGOWRIE (1899), p158. THE BUILDER VOL XXVII, p631.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 31 - 37 (ODD NOS) HIGH STREET FORMER INSTITUTE AND LIBRARY

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/01/2022 08:54