Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

CAWDER ESTATE, CAWDER HOUSE, BRIDGE OVER BISHOPBRIGGS BURNLB22275

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Group Category Details
100000019 - See Notes
Date Added
17/08/1977
Local Authority
East Dunbartonshire
Planning Authority
East Dunbartonshire
Burgh
Bishopbriggs
NGR
NS 61063 72604
Coordinates
261063, 672604

Description

David Hamilton, early 19th century with later 20th century additions. Flat bridge across shallow burn on main driveway to Cawder House. Shallow round arch of shaped rubble voussoirs, returning to low, ashlar sides. Coursed, squared rubble abutment with projecting ashlar course at road level. Low parapet of large ashlar blocks with segmentally-arched coping stones; squat ashlar terminating pillars with shallow-piended coping stones. Later, concrete buttress added to the NE side of arch. Heavily oxidised stone to E side of bridge (2004); re-pointed with concrete in places. Small waterfall cascading over crescent-shaped concrete former footbridge, abutting bridge to W.

Statement of Special Interest

A-group listing, also including Cawder House, Cawder Stables, Cawder Dovecot, Cawder Lodge, Cawder Icehouse, Cawder Gatelodge and the lodge at 2 Cadder Road, Bishopbriggs. This plain bridge is located on the main driveway to Cawder House, crossing over the Bishopbriggs Burn. Dating from the early 19th century, it was probably built as part of David Hamilton's redesigning of the Cawder estate, replacing an earlier structure, the form and location of which is unknown. Hamilton was one of Scotland's most prolific and popular architects of the time, his major works including the Royal Exchange in Glasgow (1827-1832), Hamilton Palace (now demolished) and Hutcheson's Hospital (1802-1805). Charles Stirling (owner and benefactor of Cawder House) was an enthusiastic patron of his work, and prior to taking ownership of Cawder, Stirling had commissioned Hamilton to build his previous mansion, Kenmure House (now demolished, on the site of Bishopbriggs Golf Club to the SW of Cawder). Hamilton then executed the Cawder Estate improvements between 1813 and 1815, before returning to Cadder again in 1825 to build Cadder Parish Church. The waterfall to the W of the bridge appears to have originally been a small concrete walkway over the burn for golfers, however the underside of this looks to have been dammed, causing the waterlevel to rise and pass over the top of the concrete structure, forming the waterfall. The burn widens to a large reservoir area to the W of the bridge, and is today used as a water trap on the golf course (2004). The mixed usage of the name Cawder and Cadder to describe the house, village and estate can be a source of some confusion. In the ancient maps of Richardson and Forrest, the parish is marked as 'Cadder' (the parish being one of the original 365 designated parishes), whilst the House and estate are marked as 'Calder'. The use of 'Calder' has since disappeared, and until the early 20th century the estate, village and parish were all referred to as Cadder. The use of the name Cawder was adopted by the golf club and this has since become the most common name for the House and its related estate, whilst the village and parish have continued to be called Cadder. These changes in name and spelling have been put down to gradual changes in dialect and pronunciation through time.

The Bridge is also notable for its close proximity to the Antonine Wall, which passes E-W across the Cawder Estate, to the S of the bridge. It lies within the amenity zone for the Antonine Wall recommended in D N Skinner The Countryside of the Antonine Wall (1973), and which will form the basis of the buffer zone, yet to be defined, for the proposed Antonine Wall World Heritage Site.

References

Bibliography

T Richardson, MAP OF THE TOWN OF GLASGOW & COUNTRY SEVEN MILES AROUND (1795). W Forrest, THE COUNTY OF LANARK FROM ACTUAL SURVEY (1816). 1st edition ORDNANCE SURVEY map (1858). J Cubbage, THE CAWDER STORY: CAWDER GOLF CLUB (1984). J Gifford and F A Walker, BUILDINGS OF SCOTLAND: STIRLING AND CENTRAL SCOTLAND (2002), p323.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CAWDER ESTATE, CAWDER HOUSE, BRIDGE OVER BISHOPBRIGGS BURN

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 24/07/2024 04:31