Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

Bonkyl Parish Church including graveyard, boundary walls, quadrant walls, gatepiers and gates and excluding scheduled monument SM381, PrestonLB216

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
16/08/1999
Last Date Amended
23/11/2017
Local Authority
Scottish Borders
Planning Authority
Scottish Borders
Parish
Bunkle And Preston
NGR
NT 80857 59603
Coordinates
380857, 659603

Description

Dated 1820; restored and altered with Romanesque details by George Fortune, architect, Duns, 1905. Rectangular-plan, 4-bay church with sandstone belfry to west; remains of crocketted pinnacle to east; lower, crowstepped porch adjoined to west. Harl-pointed cream sandstone rubble; sandstone ashlar dressings. Raised base course; architraved cill course; raised eaves course; bracketed eaves course to gabled porch. Droved quoins; droved long and short surrounds to openings. Round-arched windows to south and east with scalloped capitals surmounting columnar reveals and mullions; round-arched pediments with nailhead mouldings; stepped cills. Plain, chamfered surrounds to round-arched porch windows; square-headed rear openings with projecting cills.

In accordance with Section 1 (4A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 the following is excluded from the listing: scheduled monument SM381.

South (Entrance) Elevation: gabled porch recessed to outer left with step to 2-leaf boarded timber door centred at ground; decorative iron hinges; round-arched surround with engaged columns flanking entrance, scalloped capitals, round-arched pediment with zig-zag moulding in frieze; blind, round-arched niche centred in crowstepped apex; decorative finial above. 4-bay church advanced to right with round-arched, bipartite windows flanking centre; large windows to outer left and right.

West (Side) Elevation: 2-bay porch off-set to left of centre with round-arched windows in both bays. Nave set behind with finialled, classically-detailed belfry, dated '1820', surmounting gablehead; bell dated '1782' within.

North (Rear) Elevation: main block with near full-height, square-headed window at centre; blind windows flanking at ground; window at 1st floor in bay to right. Gabled porch recessed to outer right with boarded timber door at ground off-set to left; window above.

East (Side) Elevation: round-arched, bipartite window at centre; crocketted pinnacle surmounting gablehead.

Predominantly border-glazed, plain leaded windows; stained glass windows to east (circa 1922) and west (1905). Grey slate roof; stone-coped skews; cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: porch with timber panelled dado; timber doors; stair accessing upper gallery with plain timber treads. Nave comprising boarded timber floor; timber pews; painted walls with timber panelled dado (dentilled in part). Large chancel arch centred at east end with square-plan columns flanking opening, scalloped capitals, round-arched pediment with zig-zag moulding in frieze; blind, tripartite arcades to left and right with engaged columns, decorative capitals, round-arched pediments with dog-tooth mouldings. Similarly detailed communion table centred in chancel; timber panelled pulpit; octagonal font. Fluted columns supporting gallery to W end with timber panelled and dentilled front; tiered timber pews set within; central timber door accessing bell rope. Various wall memorials.

Graveyard: irregular-plan graveyard surrounding church with various 17th, 18th and 19th century stones including table-top monuments, classically-detailed stones and memento mori.

Boundary walls, quadrant walls, gatepiers and gates: Rubble walls enclosing site. Arched coping to rubble quadrant walls flanking main entrance; tapering, polygonal iron gatepiers; 2-leaf, hooped iron gates.

Statement of Special Interest

Place of worship in use as such. Also referred to as 'Bunkle Church'. Recorded in the Ordnance Survey Name Book as "...a small square built church situated in the centre of the parish of Bunkle. It was rebuilt in the year 1820." Built to replace the medieval Bunkle Old Kirk - the apse of which can still be seen to the southeast (see scheduled monument SM381). Both materials and details from the Old Kirk were reused in this new church. Prior to George Fortune's work on the church in 1905, the building was described as a "rectangular, barn-like structure, so plain indeed that, but for the belfry one would scarcely suspect was a church at all" (Robson). Fortune added a porch and vestry to the west end and, it is assumed, the Romanesque detailing, which not only echoes the Romanesque form of the Old Kirk, but also bears strong similarity to the detailing at the nearby, more decorative Cranshaws Church - itself virtually rebuilt by George Fortune in 1898-99 (see separate listing). Fortune also renovated Longformacus Church in 1892 (see separate listing).

In accordance with Section 1 (4A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 the following is excluded from the listing: scheduled monument SM381.

Listed building record and statutory address updated in 2017. Previously listed as 'Bonkyl Church (Church Of Scotland) including Graveyard, Boundary Walls, Quadrant Walls, Gatepiers and Gates'.

'Bonkyl and Preston parish church, church 10m S of' is Scheduled Monument No 381 and is excluded from the listing.

Listed building record and statutory address updated in 2015. Previously listed as 'Bonkyl Church (Church Of Scotland) including Graveyard, Boundary Walls, Quadrant Walls, Gatepiers and Gates'.

References

Bibliography

Canmore: http://canmore.org.uk/ CANMORE ID 59705

Maps

Ordnance Survey (Surveyed 1857, Published 1862) Berwick Sheet X.12. 25 Inches to the Mile. 1st Edition. Southampton: Ordnance Survey.

Sharp, Greenwood & Fowler's map, 1826.

Printed Sources

Binnie, Dr G. A. C. (1995) The Churches And Graveyards Of Berwickshire . Berwick-Upon-Tweed. pp.40-46.

Groome, F.H., (1882) Ordnance Gazetteer Of Scotland. Edinburgh: Thomas C. Jack. p.200.

New Statistical Account (1834-45) Bunkle and Preston, County of Berwick, Vol. 2. p.122.

Ordnance Survey Name Book (1856-1858) Reel 60, Book 5, NMRS.

Robson, J., (1896) The Churches And Churchyards Of Berwickshire. Kelso: J. and J. H. Rutherford. Pp.20-22.

Strang, C. A., (1991) Borders And Berwick: An Illustrated Architectural Guide. Edinburgh: The Rutland Press.p39.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to Bonkyl Parish Church including graveyard, boundary walls, quadrant walls, gatepiers and gates and excluding scheduled monument SM381, Preston

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/07/2024 04:32