Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
South Ayrshire
Planning Authority
South Ayrshire
NS 33111 21785
233111, 621785


Steven Brothers, dated 1892. Painted cast-iron 4-stage fountain. Circular lipped base. Square-plan pedestal; disengaged angle shafts; nautical decorative detailing; Burgh Arms plaque depicted to all faces; large naturalistically moulded basin; dolphins and putti support smaller basin above; baluster support to upper basin surmounted by otter on ball finial with fish in mouth.

Statement of Special Interest

In 1840 a gravitational feed water supply was laid into the town from the Milton Springs on Carrick Hill. New reservoirs were opened by 1870, but the supply could not cope with the demand. Water supply was taken into burgh care in 1873, and in 1887 Loch Finlas in Straiton parish was dammed to provide a water supply. A number of fountains were subsequently presented to the town, including the Steven Fountain and the Burns Statue Square fountain. The Steven Fountain was presented to the town by James Steven, iron founder in Glasgow who resided for a time at Skeldon House near Dalrymple. The fountain was renovated by Kyle and Carrick District Council in the 1980's to mark the naming of Ayr's twin town, St Germain-en-Laye.



Ordnance Survey map, 1858 (not evident), Ordnance Survey map, 1896 (evident); AYR ADVERTISER 24.3.1892 (information courtesy of Robert Close); John Strawhorn and Ken Andrew DISCOVERING AYRSHIRE (1988) p104; Rob Close AYRSHIRE AND ARRAN (1992), p23; R and J Kennedy OLD AYR (1992), p12; Dane Love PICTORIAL HISTORY OF AYR (1995), pp11, 72, 77; NMRS Photographic Archive (A5678).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ESPLANADE, STEVEN MEMORIAL FOUNTAIN

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 06/10/2022 10:45