Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

8 DUNURE ROAD, THE BALGARTH INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLLB21572

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
10/01/1980
Local Authority
South Ayrshire
Planning Authority
South Ayrshire
Burgh
Ayr
NGR
NS 32436 18927
Coordinates
232436, 618927

Description

James A Morris 1892, post 1898 additions also by Morris. 2-storey, 10-bay and attic, asymmetrical-plan former villa. Sandstone; ashlar dressings; timber eaves.

SE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: gabletted entrance to right; 2-leaf timber doors; bipartite windows flanking; single and bipartite windows at 1st floor. Tripartite window at ground to right in advanced gablet; arrowslit to gablet; 2 single windows at 1st floor; narrow single window with swan-neck pediment head; tripartite window at attic. Single window to gable to right; 2 single windows to outer right. Tripartite window at ground floor; quadripartite window at 1st floor to gabled bay to left of entrance; flat-roofed dormer to left of gable at attic; 2-leaf gabled timber entrance to left; domed caps to flanking finials; segmental Dutch gablehead to single window above; 2 pairs of strip windows to left; timber door; steps behind lower walling; 2-leaf timber doors to outer left.

NW (REAR) ELEVATION: 13-bay, grouped 4-5-1-1-1-1. Advanced single storey 4 bays to outer left (all gabled, except penultimate bay to left); 2 windows to gable to outer left; glazed door to penultimate bay to left; 3 single windows to linked gabled bays to right; glazed timber door to re-entrant angle to right. 2-storey and attic to 5-bays to right, with canted corner bay: 6 single windows at ground floor, 3 windows at 1st floor, breaking eaves to form segmental pedimented dormer heads to 3 bays to left (bipartite flat-roofed attic dormer to right); tripartite window at ground floor; bipartite window breaking eaves to form finialled pediment head at 1st floor (bipartite flat-roofed dormer aligned above at attic); tripartite window at ground floor, bipartite window at 1st floor (non-aligned) to bay to right; bipartite dormer aligned above at attic; single window at ground; 2 windows at 1st floor to canted corner bay. 2-leaf glazed timber doors with catslide roof link to single storey polygonal plan section to right, 4 pairs of bipartite windows; single pair of bipartite windows to walling to outer right.

SW AND NE ELEVATIONS: not seen 1999.

Predominantly timber sash and case windows. Slated roof; timber eaves; coped ridge and pitch stacks; circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: elaborate dado panels; decorative bowed panels to timber gallery; keystoned austere fireplace.

BOUNDARY WALL: brick wall partially encloses site; modern coped gatepiers to pedestrian entrance.

Statement of Special Interest

Built as private villa by the renowned local architect JA Morris. Alongside architectural work, including that in Savoy Croft and Racecourse Road, Morris wrote the books "The Brig of Ayr and Something of its Story" in 1912 and "The Auld Toon O'Ayr" in 1928, both published by the Ayr publishers Stephen and Pollock, extolling the town's architectural highlights. The villa is notable for its fine detailing including the segmental plain and Dutch gableheads and the varying gablet and gable heights to the SE elevation.

References

Bibliography

Ordnance Survey map, 1858 (not evident), Ordnance Survey map, 1896 (evident); Michael Davis THE CASTLES AND MANSIONS OF AYRSHIRE (1991), pp102, 163; NMRS Photographic Archive (AY3711).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 8 DUNURE ROAD, THE BALGARTH INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/06/2022 07:11