Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

46 RUBISLAW DEN NORTH, THE RED HOUSE, INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLSLB20777

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
17/06/1992
Local Authority
Aberdeen
Planning Authority
Aberdeen
Burgh
Aberdeen
NGR
NJ 91659 5987
Coordinates
391659, 805987

Description

R Leslie Roll and D Poulson Hall, 1936-38. 2-storey, 3-bay villa. Rough-faced pink granite finely finished to margins. Rubble base course; overhanging eaves; shallow catslide roofs to 1st floor windows.

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: asymmetrical; tripartite windows to ground and 1st floors of centre bay; 6-light rectangular-plan window advanced to ground floor of bay to left, glazed door to right return, tripartite window to 1st floor above; gabled bay to right, 6-light shallow bowed window to ground floor of bay to right, tripartite window to 1st floor above, half-timbered gablehead.

E ELEVATION: gabled, roof swept down to ground floor at right; stone steps with retaining wall advanced at ground floor; broad shallow piend-roofed porch advanced to ground floor, inward canted doorway in deeply chamfered segmental arch, 2-leaf boarded timber door flanked by glazed panels, window flanking to left, chamfered outer left angle with small window to centre, window centred to 1st floor.

N AND W ELEVATIONS: not seen 2000.

Predominantly timber casement windows with top hoppers and rectangular leaded detail. Piended rosemary slate roof with terracotta ridges, swept down to N. Wallhead, gablehead and ridge stacks with circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: not seen 2000.

BOUNDARY WALLS: cyclopean granite wall to S.

Statement of Special Interest

From the beginning of the 19th century Aberdeen rapidly expanded westwards from Union Street. 46 Rubislaw Den North is part of the late 19th/early 20th century development W of Queen's Cross. Rubislaw Den North runs almost parallel to Queen's Road (on the site of Skene Road) which was originally surrounded by the estate of Rubislaw. In 1877 Rubislaw Estate was bought by the City of Aberdeen Land Association, who re-aligned Skene Road and sold off the estate in smaller plots. Streets became wider and villas with substantial gardens often replaced terraces. Prestigious architects were often employed to produce bold and unusual designs to reflect the wealth and individuality of the clients. The principal rooms are on the S facing side, with a spinal corridor to the N.

References

Bibliography

Aberdeen City Archives, PLANS FOR 46 RUBISLAW DEN NORTH, 11 June 1936; W A Brogden, ABERDEEN: AN ILLUSTRATED ARCHITECTURAL GUIDE, (2nd Edition: 1998), p146.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 46 RUBISLAW DEN NORTH, THE RED HOUSE, INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 02/10/2022 07:45