Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

13 RUBISLAW DEN NORTH, GLENBURNIE PARK, INCLUDING GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLSLB20764

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
17/06/1992
Local Authority
Aberdeen
Planning Authority
Aberdeen
Burgh
Aberdeen
NGR
NJ 91705 5941
Coordinates
391705, 805941

Description

1885. 2-storey, attic and basement, 3-bay with service wing to the W. Aberdeen bond granite to ground floor, rubble 1st floor, finely finished margins. Rough-faced base and basement course; dividing string course with billet detail to main house; chamfered reveals; curved angles to ground floor, corbelled to form right angles at 1st floor; 1st floor cill course; overhanging eaves with decoratively carved and pierced bargeboards and open half-timbered gableheads.

N (RUBISLAW DEN NORTH) ELEVATION: symmetrical; canted porch advanced to centre of ground floor, Tudor-arched doorway, pilastered panelled 2-leaf timber door, reached by stone steps, geometrically traceried fanlight, traceried and stained glass windows flanking to left and right, gabled 1st floor advanced above, broad tripartite window with blind boarded central pane; gabled bays flanking to left and right, tripartite windows to ground and 1st floors. Service wing recessed to outer right, panelled timber door with letterbox fanlight to left of ground floor, flanked by 2 small windows, bipartite and single window to 1st floor above, bipartite window to right of ground floor, gableted window to 1st floor, with louvred opening inset.

W ELEVATION: gabled; predominantly obscured by service wing, irregular fenestration, tripartite and single windows to right return, gableted tripartite window breaking eaves to 1st floor, with louvred opening inset; canted tower to re-entrant angle to right.

S (GARDEN) ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 3-bay; gabled bay to centre, glazed and panelled timber door with small-pane fanlight to right at ground floor, 2-light window flanking to left, pair of bipartite windows to 1st floor above; gabled bay to left, pair of bipartite windows off-centre to right of ground floor, deeply canted outer left angle, with small window with ogee lintel to centre, 3-light oriel window to 1st floor, harled gablehead with bipartite window inset. Gabled bay advanced to outer right, 7-light canted 1st floor, advanced 1st floor on deep corbels, tripartite window to centre, single window to chamfered outer angles.

E ELEVATION: asymmetrical; gabled bay to left, with canted bay advanced through ground and 1st floors, 2 gableted bays to right, near-regular openings.

Predominantly timber sash and case windows with small-pane upper sashes. Grey slate roof with lead ridges. Coped ridge and gablehead stacks with circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: subdivided; not seen 2000.

GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: rough-faced square-plan granite gatepiers to N, with shallow pyramidal caps, low coped rough-faced granite wall between; rubble walls to remainder.

Statement of Special Interest

From the beginning of the 19th century Aberdeen rapidly expanded westwards from Union Street. 13 Rubislaw Den North is part of the late 19th development W of Queen's Cross. Rubislaw Den North runs almost parallel to Queen's Road (on the site of Skene Road) which was originally surrounded by the estate of Rubislaw. In 1877 Rubislaw Estate was bought by the City of Aberdeen Land Association, who re-aligned Skene Road and sold off the estate in smaller plots. Streets became wider and villas with substantial gardens often replaced terraces. Prestigious architects were often employed to produce bold and unusual designs to reflect the wealth and individuality of the clients. Like some of the adjacent properties on the S side Rubislaw Den North, the garden elevation is one of the principal elevations, the garden falls away to the North Burn of Rubislaw to the S. The villa is particularly well detailed, with highly decorative bargeboards and billet frieze.

References

Bibliography

Aberdeen City Archives, PHOTOCOPY OF PLANS FOR 13 RUBISLAW DEN NORTH, 12 March 1885; 2nd (1901) EDITION OS MAP.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 13 RUBISLAW DEN NORTH, GLENBURNIE PARK, INCLUDING GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/06/2022 03:49