Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

52 AND 54 QUEEN'S ROAD, INCLUDING GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLSLB20741

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Group Category Details
100000019 - see notes
Date Added
17/06/1992
Local Authority
Aberdeen
Planning Authority
Aberdeen
Burgh
Aberdeen
NGR
NJ 91894 5648
Coordinates
391894, 805648

Description

Pirie and Clyne, 1885; John Morgan, Builder. 2-storey and attic, 4-bay eclectic double villa. Rough-faced grey granite, finely finished to margins. Dark grey granite base course; ground floor cill course; pilastered panelled timber doors with letterbox fanlights; moulding cill course to 1st floor; sunken fillet course at impost level at 1st floor; eaves course; parapet between pediments of principal elevation.

SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical; 4-bay, comprising 2 2-bay mirrored, semi-detached villas. Broad doorways to centre bays of ground floor, with decorative half-volute brackets below lintels, deep set panelled timber doors with glazed panels flanking, broad fanlights; single windows to 1st floor above, reveals waisted towards base; 3-light bowed windows through ground and 1st floors of bays to outer left and right, forming balcony to attic floor, pilastered mullions with sunken fillet at capital to 1st floor; pedimented attic floor flanked by 2 deep scrolls, window to each with decorative half-volutes below lintels, large decorative paterae centred in pediment, scrolled acroteria, wallhead stack flanking pediments to inside.

NE ELEVATION: gabled; 2-storey flat-roofed wing adjoining to right, doorway with window above to left return, eaves blocking course.

NW ELEVATION: near-symmetrical; 4-bay; 2 broad doorways to centre 2 bays at ground floor, windows above and canted dormers to attic; single window to bays to outer left and right at ground and 1st floors, rectangular dormers with cat-slide roofs to attic floor; single storey wings advanced to outer left and right, modern additions to that at No 54.

SW ELEVATION: gabled; flat-roofed wing to left, scrolled coping, doorway and window to left return.

Predominantly 2-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof with lead ridge. Stone skews. Corniced wallhead and gablehead stacks with circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: both houses retain staircases with distinctively turned timber balusters. Simple cornices and mouldings. Fireplaces predominantly removed.

GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: coped low rough-faced granite Aberdeen bond walls to SE; square-plan gatepier to left, with pyramidal cap, shared with adjacent property; decorative gatepier to right (shared with 50 Queen's Road, see separate listing); battered rough-faced granite base, finely finished shaft, corniced with pink and grey granite banded pyramidal cap and spherical finial. Granite and brick coped rubble walls to remainder.

Statement of Special Interest

A-Group with 50 Queen's Road and 46 and 48 Queen's Road (see separate listings). From the beginning of the 19th century Aberdeen rapidly expanded westwards from Union Street. 52 and 54 Queen's Road is part of the later 19th century development W of Queen's Cross. Queen's Road is on the site of Skene Road, which was originally surrounded by the estate of Rubislaw. In 1877 Rubislaw Estate was bought by the City of Aberdeen Land Association, who re-aligned the road and sold off the estate in smaller plots. Streets became wider and villas with substantial gardens often replaced terraces. Prestigious architects, such Pirie and Clyne, were often employed to produce bold and unusual designs to reflect the wealth and individuality of the clients. 52 and 54 Queen's Road was built for John Morgan (b. 1841), an Aberdeen builder who specialised in high quality granite cutting and carving. Morgan was a close friend of Pirie, and was involved in much of the work undertaken by the partnership. The majority of Pirie and Clyne's double villas follow the same formula (seen at its best in Hamilton Place): symmetrical double villas of mirrored plan, 2 gables to the attic, with a parapet running between. Although the houses follow the same composition, each pair is slightly different from the next, tied together by the massing, masonry techniques and variations of the same decorative motifs. From the plans it would appear that the houses were designed in outline first, then details were added later. The navel-like paterae appear in the majority of the designs by the partnership. The paterae are probably a development of the sunflower (a favourite motif of the Aesthetic Movement) or daffodil. A variation of the patera is also a favourite motif of Alexander Thomson, who appears to have been a strong influence on Pirie in particular. The elaborate volutes flanking the doors and attic windows are similar to waves. Many of Pirie's details appear to have a nautical theme, perhaps because his father was a sea-captain. The plans are signed by John Rust, but the style is distinctively that of Pirie and Clyne.

References

Bibliography

Aberdeen City Library, TOWN COUNCIL OF ABERDEEN MINUTES, 6 August 1885, p255, 15 February 1886, p78; 2nd (1901) EDITION OS MAP.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 52 AND 54 QUEEN'S ROAD, INCLUDING GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 20/05/2022 02:11