Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NJ 92157 5740
392157, 805740


Duncan McMillan, 1876. 2-storey, basement and attic, 3-bay villa with Scots baronial detailing. Tooled coursed grey granite, with contrasting light grey dressings, finely finished to margins at SE elevation; Aberdeen bond rubble to remainder. Rough-faced basement floor; base course; stop-chamfered reveals to SE; crowstepped gables to SE elevation.

SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: asymmetrical; segmental-arched doorway to centre bay of ground floor, chamfered reveals, replacement panelled timber door with stained-glass fanlight reached by stone steps flanked by railings; gableted window breaking eaves to centre bay of 1st floor, decorative stone finial to apex; canted window through basement and ground floor of flanking bay to left, iron railings enclosing basement, piended slate roof; gableted bipartite window to 1st floor above, breaking eaves, stone finial to apex. Gabled bay advanced to right; canted window through basement and ground floors, iron railings enclosing basement, piended slate roof; bipartite window to 1st floor; narrow opening set in gablehead of attic floor; spherical stone finial to apex of gable.

NE ELEVATION: gabled; addition to basement floor; windows to centre of ground and 1st floors.

NW ELEVATION: irregular fenestration; panelled timber door to left at basement floor; segmental-arched stained-glass window near centre of 1st floor, flanked to left and right by gableted windows breaking eaves.

SW ELEVATION: gabled; blank.

Predominantly 2-pane and 4-pane timber sash and case windows, replacement to 1st floor. Grey slate roof with lead ridge. Coped stone skews with beaked skewputts. Coped gablehead stacks with octagonal cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: tiled floor to entrance porch; some doors, architraves, skirting boards and cornicing survives; stair boxed-in (2000); no fireplaces to ground floor.

GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: square-plan gatepiers with pyramidal caps (shared with adjacent properties) to SE, low coped rough-faced granite wall between; granite and brick coped rubble walls to remainder.

Statement of Special Interest

From the beginning of the 19th century Aberdeen rapidly expanded westwards from Union Street. 14 Queen's Road is part of the later 19th century development W of Queen's Cross. Queen's Road is on the site of Skene Road, which was originally surrounded by the estate of Rubislaw. In 1877 Rubislaw Estate was bought by the City of Aberdeen Land Association, who re-aligned the road and sold off the estate in smaller plots. Streets became wider and villas with substantial gardens often replaced terraces. Prestigious architects, such as Duncan McMillan, were often employed to produce bold and unusual designs to reflect the wealth and individuality of the clients. The Scots baronial style was much favoured in the W end of Aberdeen, possibly following the example of Balmoral (see separate listing). The composition of 14 Queen's Road is similar to that of 25, 27 and 29 Queen's Road, by John Rust, who frequently designed in this style, and also similar to the adjacent 16 Queen's Road (see separate listings).



Aberdeen City Archives, PLANS FOR 14 QUEEN'S ROAD, 18 January 1876; Post Office Directory, PLAN OF THE CITY OF ABERDEEN, (1880); 2nd (1901) EDITION OS MAP.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 14 QUEEN'S ROAD, INCLUDING GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/06/2022 02:51