Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

2 AND 4 QUEEN'S ROAD, INCLUDING GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLSLB20733

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
17/06/1992
Local Authority
Aberdeen
Planning Authority
Aberdeen
Burgh
Aberdeen
NGR
NJ 92271 5783
Coordinates
392271, 805783

Description

Possibly John Rust, circa 1880; later additions and alterations. 2-storey, basement and attic, 6-bay double villa with Jacobean detailing. Tooled coursed grey granite, finely finished to margins at SE elevation; Aberdeen bond granite rubble to remainder. Base course; projecting cills; dividing string course; eaves course; chamfered quoins to NW elevation.

SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical; 6-bay mirrored pair of 2 3-bay villas; sunken basement; regular fenestration to ground and 1st floors of 2 central bays; doorways to ground floor of penultimate bays to left and right, panelled timber doors with letterbox fanlights, single window to 1st floor of each, blind tablet between 1st floor windows of each villa, with curvilinear gabled window breaking eaves above at attic floor, stone finials to apexes. Kneelered gables to advanced bays to outer left and right, piend-roofed canted bay through ground and 1st floors, bipartite window with crowstepped pediment set in each gablehead.

NE ELEVATION: gabled; window off-centre to right of 1st floor.

NW ELEVATION: predominantly obscured by 2 modern blocks adjoining to left and right, regular fenestration flanking each; wallhead stepped up to centre of each at attic floor, with window to centre, flanked to left and right by dormers.

SW ELEVATION: gabled; doorway to centre of ground floor, 2 windows to 1st floor, single window centred in gablehead.

Predominantly 4-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof with lead ridge. Coped skews with blocked skewputts; decoratively profiled skewputts to SE elevation. Corniced gablehead and ridge stacks with octagonal cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIORS: cornices survive to 2 Queen's Road; staircase with iron balusters, scrolled brackets, some panelled doors, architraves, cornices and some friezes survive to 4 Queen's Road.

GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: square-plan ashlar gatepiers to SE with pyramidal caps (shared with adjacent properties); low coped granite wall between; granite coped rubble walls to remainder.

Statement of Special Interest

From the beginning of the 19th century Aberdeen rapidly expanded westwards from Union Street. 2 and 4 Queen's Road is part of the later 19th century development W of Queen's Cross. Queen's Road is on the site of Skene Road, which was originally surrounded by the estate of Rubislaw. In 1877 Rubislaw Estate was bought by the City of Aberdeen Land Association, who re-aligned the road and sold off the estate in smaller plots. Streets became wider and villas with substantial gardens often replaced terraces. Prestigious architects, such as John Rust (the City Architect), were often employed to produce bold and unusual designs to reflect the wealth and individuality of the clients. Features of particular note at 2 and 4 Queen's Road include the kneelered and curvilinear gables and highly decorative skewputts. Currently in commercial use.

References

Bibliography

Post Office Directory, PLAN OF THE CITY OF ABERDEEN, (1880); 2nd (1901) EDITION OS MAP.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 2 AND 4 QUEEN'S ROAD, INCLUDING GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 06/10/2022 10:50