Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

GUILD STREET ABERDEEN RAILWAY STATION AND ROAD OVERBRIDGELB20673

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
02/03/1990
Supplementary Information Updated
10/05/2016
Local Authority
Aberdeen
Planning Authority
Aberdeen
Burgh
Aberdeen
NGR
NJ 94152 5889
Coordinates
394152, 805889

Description

J A Parker, engineer, 1913-20. Long single-storey railway station facing east, with near central double height Beaux-Arts 5-bay polygonal entrance pavilion with full length cast iron cantilevered canopy and asymmetrical classical granite pavilions to north and south. Yellow sandstone to central pavilion; granite ashlar to outer pavilions. Modern extensions to south (2006).

Entrance elevation to east; altered to ground; mid-height semi-circular window openings with fan-light glazing and small paired deep-set square windows above. Bays separated by paired Doric columns. Deep dentilled cornice. Stepped parapet.

The interior was seen in 2006. The spacious concourse with impressive shallow segmental-arched glass and steel roof with glazed end screens. Glass and steel awnings to platforms supported on cast iron columns and with decorative timber valances. Some flat-arched openings to block to east. Some glass and timber doors. Timber lined bridge giving access to platforms at west.

Internal spaces to buildings comprehensively modernised.

ROAD OVERBRIDGE: circa 1909 or circa 1913 bridge over railway tracks, to the north of the station, on Rivetted and latticed 2-span steel bowstring bridge with flat-span plate-girder pedestrian bridge either side to north and south. Plaque with inscription 'ALEXr FINDLAY & CO LIMITED PARKNEUK WORKS MOTHERWELL'. Corniced and panelled, granite terminal piers.

Statement of Special Interest

This station was the last major station to be built within Scotland. The use of sandstone as a building material for the entrance hall is unusual in Aberdeen, where granite is the more common building material. The large, open concourse with its open-frame steel roof is a particularly fine feature of this station, giving both light and space to the internal part of the station. The entrance pavilion is well-detailed with interesting dentil and column decoration and the large semi-circular windows are a particularly striking feature.

The road overbridge on Guild Street may date from 1909, which is the date of the former surburban railway beneath it, or 1913 when the rest of Aberdeen Station was built. A bridge in this location is shown on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map (surveyed 1866). However a plaque on the bridge attributes it to Alexander Findlay and Company, which was founded in 1888.

Known as the Joint Station, this station replaced an earlier one built in 1867. Previous to this, there had been two railway companies operating within Aberdeen, the Caledonian Railway and the Great North of Scotland Railway. Each had their own station and it was not unusual for GNSR to refuse to hold the trains if connecting services from the South via the Caledonian Railway were late and to close their station. The Joint Station of 1867 brought these two companies under the same roof, but quickly became inadequate for the amount of traffic and a replacement was begun in 1913. The building of the new station was entrusted to Mr J A Parker, the chief engineer of the Great North of Scotland Railway, as they owned the majority of the previous station. Although the work was begun in 1913, and the platforms were in use by the following year, the station was not completed until after the First World War. The station originally had 4 long through platforms and 10 bays, but these were reduced in the 1980s when the Northern end of the station was refurbished to provide car parking and increased commercial space.

Listed building record updated in 2006. Minor text updates to listed building record in 2016.

References

Bibliography

Canmore: http://canmore.org.uk/ CANMORE ID 175185

Maps

Ordnance Survey (surveyed 1867, published 1869) Aberdeen Sheet LXXV.11 (Old Machar). 1st Edition. 25 inches to the mile. Southampton: Ordnance Survey.

Ordnance Survey (surveyed 1924, published 1926) Aberdeenshire 075.11 (includes: Aberdeen). 3rd Edition. 25 inches to the mile. Southampton: Ordnance Survey.

Printed sources

Barclay-Harvey, M. (1949), A History of the Great North of Scotland Railway. p.10.

Biddle, G. (2003) Britain's Historic Railway Buildings. p.669.

Jones, K. (2000) The Railways of Aberdeen - 150 Years of History.

Brogden, W. A. (1998) Aberdeen, An Illustrated Architectural Guide. p.81.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to GUILD STREET ABERDEEN RAILWAY STATION AND ROAD OVERBRIDGE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/06/2022 14:32