Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

1-4 (INCLUSIVE NUMBERS), 5, 5A, 6-8 (INCLUSIVE NUMBERS), 9A, 9B, 10A, 10B, 10C, 11 AND 11A QUEEN'S GARDENS, OFF QUEEN'S ROAD, INCLUDING GATEPIERS, RAILINGS AND BOUNDARY WALLSLB20636

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
26/05/1977
Supplementary Information Updated
10/01/2017
Local Authority
Aberdeen
Planning Authority
Aberdeen
Burgh
Aberdeen
NGR
NJ 92378 5827
Coordinates
392378, 805827

Description

J Russell Mackenzie, circa 1880; central and terminal pavilions Ellis & Wilson, 1884-6 and 1893. 2-storey, basement and attic, double attic in places, 28-bay terrace comprising 2 and 3-bay houses (many subdivided). Tooled coursed granite ashlar to principal elevations, rubble to remainder, finely finished to margins; contrasting pale grey long and short dressings to link blocks. Half-sunken basement floor enclosed by railings; base course; chamfered reveals; basket-arched windows to 1st floor; eaves course and cornice; pilastered, gableted segmental-arched timber dormers to attic floor.

SW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: near-symmetrical; 4-bay central pavilion (1884-1886) flanked to left and right by 9-bay link blocks (circa 1880), 2-bay terminal pavilions to outer left and right (1884-86), 2-bay outer pavilion to far right (1893).

Central pavilion, Nos 6 and 7: symmetrical mirrored pair of 2-bay houses; regular fenestration to basement floor; doorways at 2 centre bays of ground floor, reached by stone steps with railings, glazed timber doors and tall letterbox fanlights, regular fenestration to 1st floor and attic; 3-light canted windows through basement, ground and 1st floors of flanking bays to outer left and right, tripartite rectangular dormers windows to attic floor.

Link blocks, Nos 3-6 and 8-10: 2 9-bay blocks comprising 3 3-bay houses; regular fenestration to basement floor; doorways to outer bays of ground floor, panelled timber doors, double doors to Nos 5, 9 and 10, flanked to inner 2 bays by regular fenestration; continuous decorative ironwork balcony between ground and 1st floors; regular fenestration to 1st floor and attic floor.

Terminal pavilions, Nos 2 and 11: 2 2-bay asymmetrical houses, symmetrically placed; regular fenestration to basement floor; doorway reached by stone steps with railings to inner bays of ground floor, single window to 1st floor above and gableted stone dormer set in eaves blocking course to attic floor, segmental-arched window, pilastered with keystone detail, triangular finial; 3-light canted window through basement, ground and 1st floors forming balcony to attic floor with decorative iron railings; pedimented attic floor with tripartite window, mini-pediment finial to apex.

Outer pavilion, No 1: asymmetrical; 2-bay pavilion adjoining terminal pavilion to E; regular fenestration to basement floor; doorway to left of ground floor, reached by stone steps flanked by railings, panelled timber door flanked by glazed panels, letterbox fanlight, regular fenestration to 1st floor and attic floor above; 5-light rectangular-plan window through basement ground and 1st floors forming balcony to attic floor, balustraded parapet; Venetian-style pilastered tripartite dormer window to attic floor, iron finial behind.

NE ELEVATION: gabled; 2-bay; asymmetrical; canted window through ground and 1st floors of bay to right; canted block advanced through ground and 1st floors to left, with decoratively glazed windows to outer facets; segmental-arched window centred in gablehead at attic floor, bracketed projecting cill with keystone detail; twin gablehead stacks, narrow band course along base stepped-up to left and right with roundel and scroll ornament; diminutive pediment between stacks.

NW ELEVATION: variety of single and 2-storey additions, canted windows and oriels; irregular fenestration and doorways to basement, ground and 1st floors; predominantly piend-roofed rectangular dormers to attic floor, with skylights to upper attic.

SW ELEVATION: gabled; single opening to centre of ground floor.

Predominantly 2-pane timber sash and case windows; replacement windows to attic floor of No 9 and 1st floor of No 10. Grey slate mansard roof with lead ridges. Coped stone skews. Coped gablehead and ridge stacks with octagonal cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIORS: not seen 2000.

GATEPIERS, BOUNDARY WALLS AND RAILINGS: low coped rough-faced granite boundary walls enclosing gardens and road to SE; pair of square-plan corniced gatepiers to outer left; pair of square-plan gatepiers flanked by quadrant walls to outer right. Ironwork railings enclosing basement and flanking steps to SE elevation. Brick and granite coped boundary walls to remainder.

Statement of Special Interest

From the beginning of the 19th century Aberdeen rapidly expanded westwards from Union Street. Queen's Gardens is part of the later 19th century development west of Queen's Cross. It is unusual in that at this time grander terraces such as this were often replaced by substantial villas with gardens. Of particular note are the exceptionally fine ironwork balconies on the elegant link block, by J Russell Mackenzie. Also of interest are the pilastered dormers to the attic floor, and basket arched first floor windows which tie the pavilions in with the link blocks.

References

Bibliography

Post Office Directory, PLAN OF THE CITY OF ABERDEEN, (1880)

Canmore, F A MacDonald Collection, PLANS FOR QUEEN'S GARDENS, September 1884, ABD/120/1-3

2nd (1901) EDITION ORDNANCE SURVEY MAP

W A Brogden, ABERDEEN: AN ILLUSTRATED ARCHITECTURAL GUIDE, (2nd Edition: 1998), p141.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 1-4 (INCLUSIVE NUMBERS), 5, 5A, 6-8 (INCLUSIVE NUMBERS), 9A, 9B, 10A, 10B, 10C, 11 AND 11A QUEEN'S GARDENS, OFF QUEEN'S ROAD, INCLUDING GATEPIERS, RAILINGS AND BOUNDARY WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 02/10/2022 06:56