Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

6 QUEEN'S GATE AND 2-12 (EVEN NUMBERS) AND 12A FOREST ROAD, AT QUEEN'S ROAD, INCLUDING RAILINGS AND BOUNDARY WALLSLB20635

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
26/05/1977
Local Authority
Aberdeen
Planning Authority
Aberdeen
Burgh
Aberdeen
NGR
NJ 92021 5690
Coordinates
392021, 805690

Description

Matthews & Mackenzie, 1877. 2-storey, basement and attic, 13-bay, L-plan terrace of French influence. Tooled coursed granite with finely finished dressings; granite rubble to NW and SW elevations. Rough-faced base course; architraved openings; ground and 1st floor cill courses; eaves course; pierced parapet; gableted rectangular dormers to attic floor.

NE (FOREST ROAD) ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 13-bay; 12 bays to right comprise 6 2-bay flats arranged in mirrored pairs; regularly placed bipartite windows to basement floor; pair of doorways to centre bays at ground floor of each pair, double width flight of steps leading to doors, distinctive iron railings flanking, 2-leaf panelled timber outer doors with letterbox fanlights, panelled and glazed inner doors, bipartite windows flanking to outer left and right; regular fenestration to 1st floor; regularly placed dormers to attic floor. Bay to outer left is 6 Queen's Gate: floor level stepped-up, bipartite window to each floor, breaking parapet and eaves at attic with steeply pitched piended roof; 2 rectangular dormers and small modern skylight to attic floor; circular-plan angle turret to outer left angle, corbelled out above base course, bipartite window to principal and 1st floor, breaking eaves, blind parapet with recessed panels matching pierced parapet to flanking bays, conical roof with fishscale slates, iron weathervane to apex. Rectangular-plan oriel to outer right angle, corbelled out at basement, single window centre of ground and 1st floors, pierced parapet above.

NW ELEVATION: gabled; windows off-centre to right of ground and 1st floors.

SW ELEVATION: rubble bays to left, irregular door and window openings, stair leading to 1st floor doorway to 4th bay from left, rectangular-plan brick addition to flanking bay to right. 2 ashlar bays advanced to outer right, irregular openings to basement floor, window to right of 1st floor, 2 windows breaking eaves with elongated piended roofs, single dormer centred between, flanked to left by modern skylight.

SE ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 3-bay; floor level stepped-up; 2 bays to left advanced, that to right stepped forward, stained glass squat window to basement floor, tall tripartite window above, bipartite window breaking eaves with piended roof, doorway to right return, pilastered doorpiece forming shallow balcony with pierced stone parapet to 1st floor, single window to 1st floor, window breaking eaves with piended roof above; bipartite windows to basement and principal floors of flanking bay to left, single window breaking eaves with piended roof above, piend-roofed rectangular dormer to attic floor; bay to right recessed, bipartite window to basement, single window to principal floor, window above breaking eaves with piended roof; angle turret to outer right angle (see above).

Predominantly 2-pane timber sash and case windows; modern PVCu casement windows to 4 Forest Road. Grey slate mansard roof with lead ridges. Stone skews. Coped ridge stacks with octagonal cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIORS: not seen 2000.

RAILINGS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: low rough-faced granite boundary walls to NE and SE; iron railings flanking steps to doorways to NE. Brick and granite coped rubble walls to NW and SW.

Statement of Special Interest

From the beginning of the 19th century Aberdeen rapidly expanded westwards from Union Street. 6 Queen's Gate and 2-12 Forest Road are part of the later 19th century development W of Queen's Cross. Forest Road is built on the site of Stocket Forest, hence the appropriate name which was chosen by Sir Alexander Anderson, Lord Provost at the time. Queen's Road, on which the Queen's Gate lies, is on the site of Skene Road, which was originally surrounded by the estate of Rubislaw. In 1877 Rubislaw Estate was bought by the City of Aberdeen Land Association, who re-aligned the road and sold off the estate in smaller plots. Streets became wider and villas with substantial gardens began to replace terraces. 6 Queen's Gate and 2-12 Forest Road is one of the few terrace developments built during this phase, and bears some resemblance to Matthews and Mackenzie's block at the end of 4-14 Union Grove and 28-38 Holburn Street of 10 years later (see separate listing). Distinctive features include the pierced parapet (seen also at Union Grove and Holburn Street), fine ironwork railings, and angle turret.

References

Bibliography

Aberdeen City Archives, PLANS FOR 6 QUEEN'S GATE AND 2-12 FOREST ROAD, 15 May 1877; Post Office Directory, PLAN OF THE CITY OF ABERDEEN, (1880); 2nd (1901) EDITION OS MAP.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 6 QUEEN'S GATE AND 2-12 (EVEN NUMBERS) AND 12A FOREST ROAD, AT QUEEN'S ROAD, INCLUDING RAILINGS AND BOUNDARY WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 20/05/2022 01:12