Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

63 HAMILTON PLACE AT WHITEHALL ROAD, INCLUDING GATES, GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLSLB20626

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Group Category Details
100000019 - see notes
Date Added
26/05/1977
Local Authority
Aberdeen
Planning Authority
Aberdeen
Burgh
Aberdeen
NGR
NJ 92462 6294
Coordinates
392462, 806294

Description

Pirie and Clyne, 1886; John Morgan, builder. 2-storey, basement and attic, 2-bay, rectangular-plan villa. Coursed, rough-faced grey granite, finely finished to margins of principal elevation; Aberdeen bond granite rubble to remainder. Dark grey granite base course; ground floor cill course; moulded 1st floor cill course; eaves course.

NW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: asymmetrical; doorway to left of ground floor with decoratively stop-chamfered jambs, pilastered panelled timber door, flanked to left and right by glazed panels, letterbox fanlight; decoratively shouldered tripartite window to 1st floor above; 3-light canted window through ground and 1st floors of gabled bay to right, forming balcony at attic floor, round-arched window with deeply chamfered reveals set in gablehead of attic floor; tiny stained glass quatrefoil window to outer left at ground floor, angle turret swept up at 1st floor above, single window to centre, conical fishscale roof with spherical lead finial. Wall extended to outer left at ground floor forming shouldered doorway to rear of house.

SW ELEVATION: gabled; symmetrical; pair of windows to centre of ground and 1st floors.

SE ELEVATION: near-symmetrical; basement floor not seen 2000; bipartite window to left of ground floor, flanked to right by 2 single windows; 3 regularly placed windows to 1st floor; canted dormer to left of attic floor, piend-roofed rectangular dormer to right.

NE ELEVATION: asymmetrical; panelled timber door with glazed upper panel off-centre to left of ground floor, flanked by small window; lean-to addition flanking to right; pair of stair windows between ground and 1st floors and 1st and attic floors.

Predominantly 2-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof with lead ridge. Stone skews with blocked skewputts. Coped gablehead stacks with octagonal cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: particularly fine interior; much of original cornicing, skirting boards, dados and panelled timber doors survive; particularly fine etched glass panels to inner door with Greek and Egyptian motifs; foliate cornices and fine carved timber fireplaces survive to principal rooms; decoratively moulded ceiling at ground floor, with patterned wallpaper with sunflower paterae, also below dado; elongated colonnettes at angles of bay windows; distinctively turned balusters to sharply twisted staircase, floreate stained glass window between ground and 1st floors at stair; fine stained glass window to attic floor.

GATES, GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: low rough-faced pink Aberdeen bond granite walls to N and E with contrasting grey snecking and coping; gatepier and wall to NW shared with Whitehill Bowling Green Wall (see separate listing); decorative iron gate to NE flanked to left (on Whitehall Road) by decorative pier, grey granite shaft swept up from plinth, rough-faced pink granite neck surmounted by scrolled cap; rubble wall to E and S with granite and semi-circular brick coping, boarded timber gate to E with decoratively gableted walls flanking; gate to SE.

Statement of Special Interest

A-Group with 79, 62, 64-66, 68-70, 72, 74-76, 78-80, 82-84, 86-88, 90-92, 94-96 and 98 Hamilton Place, Place Whitehill Bowling Green Wall and 87 Fountainhall Road (see separate listings). 63 Hamilton Place forms part of J B Pirie (1851-1892) and Arthur Clyne's (1853-1924) finest terrace. 63 Hamilton Place is one of the simpler houses designed by Pirie and Clyne for George M Thomson, an Aberdeen merchant. It flanks the Whitehill Bowling Green to the E, to the W of the green is the identical No 79 Hamilton Place (see separate listing). The interior of No 63 Hamilton Place is extremely interesting, the survival of the original fireplaces is particularly rare, and the stained glass is very fine. Although less extravagant, the exterior is elegant and well proportioned. Unusual details include the tiny stained glass quatrefoil window flanking the door to the left, the decoratively shouldered doorway and tripartite window above, and the round-arched window to the attic floor, a form also used for some of the doorways of the houses opposite.

References

Bibliography

Aberdeen City Archives, PLANS FOR 63 HAMILTON PLACE, 15 November 1886; NMRS, PLAN OF 63 HAMILTON PLACE, F A M MacDonald Collection 1886; TOWN COUNCIL OF ABERDEEN MINUTES, 1884-1891; 2nd (1901) EDITION OS MAP; W A Brogden, ABERDEEN: AN ILLUSTRATED ARCHITECTURAL GUIDE, (2nd Edition: 1998), p142-143.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 63 HAMILTON PLACE AT WHITEHALL ROAD, INCLUDING GATES, GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/06/2022 03:30