Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Group Category Details
100000020 - see notes
Date Added
Supplementary Information Updated
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NJ 92583 6637
392583, 806637


J B Pirie and A Clyne, 1884-1885. Single storey and attic principal elevation, 2 full storeys to rear, 14-bay terraced comprising 2 4-bay pairs of mirrored cottages and 2 3-bay cottages sub-divided to form 2 dwellings. Rough-faced grey and pink granite with finely finished margins. Dark grey granite base course; ground floor cill course; dressed lintel band course; pink granite deep eaves course, corniced with regularly spaced grey granite navel-like paterae. Pilastered panelled timber doors with glazed panels flanking and letterbox fanlights, some with original stained glass; squat rough-faced pilasters flanking tops of doorways; canted dormers with timber twin dentil cornice, rectangular dormers above doorways with navel paterae to lintels, iron daffodil finials to dormers.

NE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: asymmetrical; Nos 31, 37, 39-41: symmetrical; 2 4-bay pairs of mirrored 2-bay cottages; shallow recessed doorways to 2 centre bays of ground floor with rectangular dormers above, decorative iron finials (not daffodils); canted windows through ground floor forming dormer to attic floor to flanking bays to outer left and right; curved wall to outer left converted to angle at lintel level. Nos 43-45 and 47-49: 2 3-bay cottages sub-divided: doorway to centre of ground floor, with rectangular-dormer above; canted windows through ground floor forming dormers to attic floor in flanking bays to left and right; modern doorway adjoining Nos 43-45 to outer left, linking to Nos 39-41.

NW ELEVATION: gabled; piend-roofed addition adjoining to right of ground floor with window to left return, eaves blocking course; opening in wall above.

SW ELEVATION: gabled wings advanced to centre; additions and alterations; skylights to attic.


Predominantly 2-pane timber sash and case windows, some replacement windows. Grey slate roofs with lead ridges. Stone skews. Coped stone gablehead and ridge stacks with predominantly octagonal cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIORS: not seen 1999.

BOUNDARY WALLS: low coped granite wall to NE; copped rubble walls to rear.

Statement of Special Interest

B-Group with 1-13 Argyll Crescent and 55-93 Argyll Place (see separate listings). Argyll Place was built for the enterprising Aberdeen builder and contractor John Morgan, who was also a close friend of J B Pirie. Like the slightly later Argyll Crescent, Argyll Place is a simply ornamented, well-proportioned terrace. The facade is varied by the different colours of granite, from dark grey to pink, and the contrast between rough-faced and dressed finishes. In addition to the polychrome granite, no two doorways are the same, being single or paired, deeply recessed or relatively shallow. The slightly oversized canted windows from ground to attic floors occur in varying forms in most of their domestic designs. The navel-like paterae appear in the majority of the designs of the partnership where Pirie is involved. The paterae are probably a development of the sunflower (a favourite motif of the Aesthetic Movement) or daffodil, which is used for the iron finials of the dormers of Argyll Place. The doorways flanked by squat pilasters are also typical of Pirie and Clyne's domestic designs, similarly squat columns are used by Alexander Thomson at the side entrance to St. Vincent Street Church, Glasgow, of 1857-8 (see separate listing).



Aberdeen City Archives, PLANS FOR HOUSES ON ARGYLL PLACE, 1884-85; TOWN COUNCIL OF ABERDEEN MINUTES, 7 February 1884, 3 March 1884, p107, 17 March 1884, p116, 7 April 1884, p133, 20 October 1884, p274, 16 March 1885, p115, 18 May 1885, p175; 2nd (1901) EDITION OS MAP; W A Brogden, ABERDEEN: AN ILLUSTRATED ARCHITECTURAL GUIDE, (2nd Edition: 1998), p129; NMRS Photographs.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 31 AND 37-49 (ODD NUMBERS) ARGYLL PLACE, INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 02/10/2022 07:24