Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

1-6 (INCLUSIVE NUMBERS) RUBISLAW PLACE AND 21 AND 23 WAVERLEY PLACE, INCLUDING GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLSLB20475

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Group Category Details
100000019 - see notes
Date Added
12/01/1967
Supplementary Information Updated
13/12/2018
Local Authority
Aberdeen
Planning Authority
Aberdeen
Burgh
Aberdeen
NGR
NJ 93142 5837
Coordinates
393142, 805837

Description

Archibald Simpson, 1835, built by Mackenzie and Matthews from 1849. 2-storey and attic, 15-bay terrace comprising 6 2-bay houses and 1 3-bay house split into 2, now primarily in office use. Finely finished granite ashlar to principal elevation, lightly tooled granite to N and S Elevations; granite rubble to E Elevation. Base course; eaves blocking course. Panelled aprons to ground floor; projecting cills to 1st floors; gableted tripartite rectangular dormers to attic floor; pilastered panelled timber doors with letterbox fanlights.

W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: Nos 1-6 Rubislaw Place: 6 2-bay houses, doorway to left of ground floor, window above, regular fenestration to flanking bay to right; single dormer flanked to left by skylight to Nos 1 and 3; large 8-light modern rectangular dormer to No 2, pair of dormers to Nos 4-6, modern rectangular dormer to centre of No 4. 3-bay block (right return of Nos 21 and 23 Waverley Place) to outer left, regular fenestration; pair of dormers to attic floor, with bipartite piend-roofed dormer to centre.

S ELEVATION: gabled; flat roofed addition to ground floor.

E ELEVATION: near regular fenestration; variety of single storey and 2-storey additions; piended and rectangular dormers and skylights to attic floor; panelled timber door with 2-pane fanlight reached by flight to steps to centre of 3-bay houses to right (No 23 Waverley Place).

N (WAVERLEY PLACE) ELEVATION: gabled; symmetrical; doorway to centre, corniced with consoles, windows flanking to left and right, window to right blind; small single-pane window to centre of 1st floor flanked to left and right by single windows; round-arched niche set in gablehead.

Predominantly 2-pane, 4-pane and 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof with lead ridge. Coped stone skews with blocked skewputts. Coped gablehead and ridge stacks with octagonal cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods, some to principal elevation set in vertical fillet.

INTERIORS: not seen 2000.

GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: 2 square-plan gatepiers to NE adjoining N elevation, with pyramidal caps, coped rubble wall adjoining to E. Low granite wall to NW and W.

Statement of Special Interest

A-Group with 1-23 Albert Street, 2-18 Albert Street, 1-34 Albert Terrace and 1 Prince Arthur Street, 2-16 Albyn Place, 31-55 Carden Place and 2 and 4 Prince Arthur Street, 1-6 Rubislaw Place and 21 and 23 Waverley Place, 7-11 Victoria Street, 17 Victoria Street, 19 Victoria Street, 21-59 Victoria Street and 181 Skene Street, 18-28 Victoria Street and 2, 6, 10 and 16 Waverley Place and 30-56 Victoria Street (see separate listings). Rubislaw Place is a larger version of the 19th century cottage terraces of Aberdeen. The attics, usually lit by canted dormers, are here lit by larger rectangular tripartite dormers. Rubislaw Place, despite the larger dormers, is otherwise a simply detailed elegant terrace typical of Archibald Simpson's work in this area of Aberdeen.

References

Bibliography

1st (1864-7) and 2nd (1901) EDITION OS MAPS; ABERDEEN JOURNAL, 11 November 1835; Aberdeen City Archives, FEUING PLAN FOR PART OF THE LANDS OF RUBISLAW, (1849); C Graham, ARCHIBALD SIMPSON: ARCHITECT OF ABERDEEN 1790-1847, (1990), p41.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 1-6 (INCLUSIVE NUMBERS) RUBISLAW PLACE AND 21 AND 23 WAVERLEY PLACE, INCLUDING GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 02/10/2022 08:43