Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

46 AND 47 REGENT QUAYLB20465

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
12/01/1967
Supplementary Information Updated
27/07/2007
Local Authority
Aberdeen
Planning Authority
Aberdeen
Burgh
Aberdeen
NGR
NJ 94642 6194
Coordinates
394642, 806194

Description

Later 18th century. 3-storey and attic, 3-bay commercial and residential building. Grey granite ashlar with raised margins and moulded eaves cornice. Semi-elliptical pend arch to left to No 45 (Scott's Court); door to immediate right and later shop frontage with fixed-pane windows and central door to far right. Mansarded attic 3-light dormer.

12-pane timber sash and case windows; grey slate; brick gable end stacks; clay cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

Statement of Special Interest

Regent Quay faces the harbour and is a critical part of Aberdeen's commercial history. Developed in the late 18th century, Regent Quay consists of a terraced run of refined architecture of the late 18th and early 19th century, of which Nos 46 and 47 form a key integral part. The buildings are mostly of a simple Classical style with good proportions and refined detail. The pend to the left is a traditional feature and is employed elsewhere along Regent Quay's lengthy run. It would have provided access to the rear of the building.

The harbour at Aberdeen accounts for the city's prosperity, representing the key to its history. Development of Aberdeen Harbour gathered momentum from the late 18th century when the physical restrictions caused by the shallow depth of the Dee estuary became problematic for increasingly heavy trade. In the 18th century, the Shiprow quayside was greatly increased forming the terrace which was to become Regent Quay. The 18th century buildings that line Regents Quay originally looked out over the sands and tributaries of the Dee, before the construction of Vicoria Dock (1848). John Wood's map of 1828 shows the location for the intended wet dock, running the length of the as yet unnamed Trinity, Regent and Waterloo quays, all designed by renowned engineer Thomas Telford during the 1840's.

Category changed from B to C(S), 2007.

References

Bibliography

Alexander Milne, 'A plan of the City of Aberdeen with all the inclosures surrounding the town to the adjacent country, from a survey taken 1789'. Chapman and Riley, 'The City and Royal Burgh of Aberdeen ' Survey and Plan 1949' p149; W A Brogden ' Aberdeen, An Illustrated Architectural Guide (1986) p75.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 46 AND 47 REGENT QUAY

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 02/10/2022 07:31