Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

86, 86A, 88 AND 88A HAMILTON PLACE, INCLUDING GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLSLB20341

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Group Category Details
100000019 - see notes
Date Added
19/03/1984
Supplementary Information Updated
06/12/2000
Local Authority
Aberdeen
Planning Authority
Aberdeen
Burgh
Aberdeen
NGR
NJ 92327 6290
Coordinates
392327, 806290

Description

Pirie and Clyne, 1885. 2-storey and attic, 4-bay double villa with Egypto-Greek detailing. Rough-faced pink granite with grey granite bow windows, lintels and parapet, finely finished to margins. Grey granite base course; ground floor cill course; pilastered panelled timber doors with letterbox fanlights; moulded cills to 1st floor; continuous sunken fillet below lintels at 1st floor; grey granite lintel band course to 1st floor; parapet between pediments of principal elevation.

SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical; 4-bay, comprising 2 2-bay mirrored, semi-detached villas. Round-arched doorways to centre bays of ground floor, scrolled horseshoe surrounds, deep-set doors, pair of modern doors at Nos 88 and 88A, glazed panels flanking; single windows to 1st floor above, reveals waisted towards base; 3-light bowed windows through ground and 1st floors of bays to outer left and right, forming balcony to attic floor, pilastered mullions with sunken fillet at capital to 1st floor, pink granite navel paterae along parapets; pedimented attic floor flanked by 2 deep scrolls, window to each with decorative volutes below lintel, large decorative paterae centred in pediments, decorative stone finial to apex; pink granite navel paterae to parapet between pediments.

NE ELEVATION: gabled; window to centre of ground floor; single storey addition to outer right with doorway to No 86A to left return.

NW ELEVATION: not seen 2000.

SW ELEVATION: gabled; single storey addition to outer left.

Predominantly 2-pane timber sash and case windows. Corniced gablehead stacks with circular cans. Grey slate roof with lead ridge. Stone skews. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIORS: No 86: 1st floor flat, decorative frieze to principal room, remainder not seen 2000. No 86A: ground floor flat; mouldings survive, colonnettes at angles of bow window. Nos 88 and 88A not seen 2000.

GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: low rough-faced pink granite Aberdeen bond walls to S with grey granite snecking and coping; gatepiers to left and right, shared with No 82-84 and Nos 90-92 Hamilton Place (see separate listings), grey granite shaft swept up from plinth, rough-faced pink granite neck surmounted by scrolled cap, rubble dividing walls to E and W.

Statement of Special Interest

A-Group with 63, 79, 62, 64-66, 68-70, 72, 74-76, 78-80, 82-84, 90-92, 94-96 and 98 Hamilton Place, Whitehill Bowling Green Wall and 87 Fountainhall Road (see separate listings). 86-88 Hamilton Place is part of J B Pirie (1851-1892) and Arthur Clyne's (1853-1924) finest terrace. The majority of Pirie and Clyne's houses on Hamilton Place follow the same formula: symmetrical double villas of mirrored plan, 2 gables or pediments to the attic, with a parapet running between. Although the houses follow the same composition, each pair is slightly different from the next, unified by the massing, masonry techniques and variations of the same decorative motifs. From the plans it would appear that the houses were designed in outline first, then details were added later. The navel-like paterae appear in the majority of the designs by the partnership. The paterae are probably a development of the sunflower (a favourite motif of the Aesthetic Movement) or daffodil. A variation of the patera is also a favourite motif of Alexander Thomson, who appears to have been a strong influence on Pirie in particular. The use of different colours of granite, as in 86-88 Hamilton Place, gives added interest to the decorative facades. The elaborate volutes flanking the attic windows are similar to waves. Many of Pirie's details appear to have a nautical theme, perhaps because his father was a sea-captain. The scrolled horseshoe doorways can also be seen elsewhere on Hamilton Place. Of note also are the bowed windows, which were unusual at that time as canted bays were much cheaper (and is employed at some of the houses, perhaps for this reason). The bows are more than a semi-circle, another feature used by Alexander Thomson, which Pirie and Clyne may have seen at "Croyland" 202 Ayr Road Newton Mearns (1875) or at Holmwood, Cathcart (1857-8) (see separate listings), which was also illustrated in Blackie's Villa and Cottage Architecture. Despite the similarities with the work of Thomson, Pirie and Clyne's designs are also highly individual. Their buildings combine High Victorian gothic, Greek, Scots Baronial, Aesthetic Movement and even proto-Art Nouveau motifs.

References

Bibliography

Aberdeen City Archives, PLANS FOR 64-66 HAMILTON PLACE, 26 March 1885; TOWN COUNCIL OF ABERDEEN MINUTES, 1884-1891; 2nd (1901) EDITION OS MAP; W A Brogden, ABERDEEN AN ILLUSTRATED ARCHITECTURAL GUIDE, (2nd Edition: 1998), p142-143; NMRS Photographs.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 86, 86A, 88 AND 88A HAMILTON PLACE, INCLUDING GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 06/10/2022 12:40