Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

Former manse, including steading, walled garden, boundary walls and gatepiers, KirktonLB19912

Status: Designated

Documents

Where documents include maps, the use of this data is subject to terms and conditions (https://portal.historicenvironment.scot/termsandconditions).

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
19/01/1996
Last Date Amended
13/04/2017
Local Authority
Aberdeenshire
Planning Authority
Aberdeenshire
Parish
Premnay
NGR
NJ 64285 25118
Coordinates
364285, 825118

Description

A late 19th century former manse and associated late 18th century steading and walled garden, with boundary walls and gatepiers.

The manse is a 2-storey, 3-bay, rectangular-plan house made L-plan by a lower single storey and attic service wing to the rear. It is constructed of coursed rubble granite with margined ashlar dressings. It has a piended slate roof with deep eaves, gablets to the side elevations, with corniced ridge stacks and clay cans, and some piended dormers. There are mostly 4-pane timber sash and case windows throughout. The principal elevation faces south and overlooks the walled garden. There is a 4-panelled door to centre with pilastered jambs and an astragalled fanlight. There are cast iron rainwater goods and ashlar-coped skews to the service wing. A modern porch links the service wing to the former steading.

The interior of the manse was seen in 2016. There is a well stair with cast iron balusters rising to the attic level. The plan form, joinery and chimneypieces mostly date to the late 19th century.

The former steading dates mostly to the 18th century and comprises a single storey and attic building, formerly L-plan and rectangular-plan, and linked to form U-plan in the later 19th century, with the central section rebuilt in the late 20th century. It is constructed of coursed rubble granite with a grey slate roof laid out in diminishing courses. There are 6-pane timber windows, ashlar-coped skews to the gable ends, and random rubble courtyard paving with drainage channels in the forecourt. There is a stone forestair to the southwest.

The walled garden is contemporary in date with the former steading and is situated to the southeast of the property. It is rectangular in plan form and is constructed of coursed rubble masonry on a sloping site, with the walls of the northwest elevation slightly taller and diminishing in height towards the southeast.

The boundary walls are constructed of coursed rubble and has round coping stones. There are two pyramidal-capped stone gatepiers to the road.

Statement of Special Interest

The buildings at Kirkton are a good example of a manse, steading and walled garden, which are largely unaltered and importantly maintain a strong visual connection to each other and to the neighbouring listed church and churchyard. The buildings retain much of their historic rural setting and form a good group with the church and churchyard, built in similar materials and of the same 18th and 19th century date.

Age and Rarity

The former manse at Kirkton previously served as the residence of the minister at the adjacent parish church (also listed at category C, LB16233). The church dates to 1792 (reconstructed from an earlier church), and the former manse replaced an earlier manse situated near the graveyard to the east of the present site, as shown on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey (OS) map (surveyed 1867). This earlier manse is dated to before the construction of the church.

The parish of Premnay was established in 1718. The Old Statistical Account notes that the manse was repaired and enlarged when the church was rebuilt in 1792. The New Statistical account of 1834–5 mentions the glebe at Kirkton extending to '6 scotch acres' (equivalent to approximately 3 hectares).

At the time of the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map (surveyed 1867), the earlier manse, the steading buildings and walled garden are evident. The steading was formed of two buildings: an L-shaped range to the northwest and a rectangular building aligned southwest-northeast. By the publication of the 2nd Edition OS map (surveyed 1899), these steading buildings have been joined to form a U-shaped range, with the court open to the northeast. Also at this time the new manse is evident, and situated to the northwest of the walled garden. 1888 is thought to be the likely date of construction of the present manse based on evidence of dated fabric found within the house.

Mid to late 19th century residences for clergy are not a rare building type (especially after the Disruption of 1843) however they are an integral part of Scotland's ecclesiastical built heritage. The majority of these buildings were often modestly detailed and constructed. The former manse at Kirkton, while typically simple in its design, has been little altered from the time it was first built. Its relationship with the adjacent earlier manse steading and walled garden forms a good surviving group of historic buildings and the context of its wider setting, next to the church, churchyard and former school house, helps to demonstrate its former function as a manse.

Architectural or Historic Interest

Interior

The interior decorative scheme retains a number of late 19th century architectural details, such as decorative cornices and fire surrounds to principal rooms, and a well staircase with decorative metal balusters and timber handrail. These surviving architectural features add to the building's special interest in listing terms.

Plan form

The plan form of the main living space is typical for its building type and has been little altered. The rear of the building has a small self-contained two room flat (accessed via the rear staircase), which is likely to have been for a maid and housekeeper. The plan form of the manse clearly shows the division between the service quarters and the minister's living area.

Technological excellence or innovation, material or design quality

The former manse building has a relatively simple and unadorned design, but the architectural detailing is good for its late 19th century date and building type, and the external elevations are largely unaltered since the late 19th century. The building was designed and placed to fit amongst existing structures, and it retains a clear association with the immediately adjacent steading and walled garden.

Setting

The historic setting of the former manse is largely unchanged since the late 19th century, with the earlier steading and walled garden remaining in situ. The buildings stand within their own grounds, set back from the road, and surrounded by a shared boundary wall. The proximity of the parish church and graveyard also contributes to a historic, picturesque setting. The manse is intervisible with the church and graveyard and this functional association is also significant in listing terms.

Regional variations

The use of granite in building is characteristic of this region of Aberdeenshire.

Close Historical Associations

There are no known associations with a person or event of national importance at present (2017).

Other information

There are three remaining granite boundary stones, two of which were noted in the previous list description. One is to the centre rear of the steading, another is at the return angle of the boundary wall at the street elevation, and the third is located near the south corner of the southwest boundary, near the Gadie Burn.

The former manse, including steading, walled garden, boundary walls and gatepiers, Kirkton was previously listed as 'Kirkton of Premnay, former manse, including steading/stables, walled garden, gatepiers and boundary wall'.

References

Bibliography

Canmore: http://canmore.org.uk/ CANMORE ID 112869

Canmore: http://canmore.org.uk/ CANMORE ID 266049

Maps

Ordnance Survey (surveyed 1867, published 1870). Aberdeen Sheet XLIV.15 (Premnay). 25 inches to the mile. 1st Edition. Southampton: Ordnance Survey.

Ordnance Survey (surveyed 1899, published 1900). Aberdeen Sheet XLIV.15 (Premnay). 25 inches to the mile. 1st Edition. Southampton: Ordnance Survey.

Archives

Ordnance Survey Name Book (1865-1871). Aberdeenshire, Volume 75. Kirkton. p50. [OS1/1/75/50]

Printed Sources

Old Statistical Account Premnay, County of Aberdeen. Account 1791-99, volume 16, p637-641.

New Statistical Account Premany, County of Aberdeen. (1842) Account 1834-45, volumne 12, p692-697. Rev John Wilson.

Macleod, Norman. (1871) Reminiscences of a Highland Parish. 2nd Edition. London: Strahan & Co.

Other Information

Further information provided by owner (2016).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

Former manse, including steading, walled garden, boundary walls and gatepiers, Kirkton, principal elevation, looking northwest during daytime, on a cloudy day.
Former steading, Kirkton, southwest elevation, view of forestair, looking east during daytime, on a cloudy day.

Map

Map

Printed: 18/05/2022 16:32