Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

HILLSWICK, NORTHMAVINE KIRK, INCLUDING KIRKYARD WALL, GATE, AND GATEPIERSLB19900

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
13/08/1971
Local Authority
Shetland Islands
Planning Authority
Shetland Islands
Parish
Northmaven
NGR
HU 28302 77124
Coordinates
428302, 1177124

Description

1733, with alterations 1764, interior recast circa 1825, further rebuilding by Roderick Coyne, 1869. 2-tier, 3 x 3-bay symmetrical gothic hall church with classical interior. Church comprises entrance vestibule and stair hall to S, galleried hall to N, and single storey gabled vestry projecting from W elevation. Harled walls with droved sandstone ashlar margins and details.

S (ENTRANCE) GABLE: symmetrical with base course. Centre bay; pointed- arched 2-leaf 4-panel timber entrance door in projecting gabled and bracketted surround containing carved shield; blind windows centred above at upper tier and in gablehead; regular fenestration at lower and upper tiers in flanking bays; stone cross at gable apex on corbelled octagonal base.

W ELEVATION: near-symmetrical, single storey gabled vestry projecting at lower tier in bay to left comprising window in N elevation and corniced, flat-roofed, porch to S; regular fenestration in other bays.

N (REAR) GABLE: symmetrical, regular fenestration at upper and lower tiers in outer bays, centre bay blank at ground, plaque at upper tier inscribed 'ERECTED 1869', single pointed-arched window centred in gable above, Celtic cross at apex.

E ELEVATION: symmetrical, with regular fenestration.

INTERIOR: symmetrically disposed droved ashlar dog-leg gallery stairs to E and W in entrance vestibule; decorative cast-iron balusters with timber handrails. Hall; timber fittings include vertically-boarded wainscoting and pews; cast-iron columns with decorative brackets supporting panelled U-plan gallery extending full length of E and W walls. Classical panelled timber pulpit, perron stair with decorative cast-iron balusters and timber handrail; fluted pilasters framing back rising to octagonal canopy with finialled ogee dome.

6-pane timber fixed-lights to S and side elevations of hall, border- glazed with patterned glass to N elevation, 6-pane timber sash and case window to vestry. Purple-grey slate roofs to hall and vestry with sandstone ashlar skew copes. Stugged sandstone ashlar wallhead stack centring W elevation, corniced with circular cans.

KIRKYARD WALL: battered harl-pointed rubble wall with rubble cope enclosing church; square rubble gatepiers with droved ashlar pyramidal caps centred on S elevation, decorative 2-leaf wrought-iron gates.

Statement of Special Interest

In ecclesiastical use. The galleried interior was rebuilt circa 1825 to seat 600 people. The semi-octagonal corbel at the south gablehead originally supported a bellcote. This is a large and finely finished church, its rather severe exterior contrasting well with the neighbouring timber hotel.

References

Bibliography

Mike Finnie SHETLAND (1990) p65. John Gifford HIGHLANDS AND ISLANDS (1992) p479.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to HILLSWICK, NORTHMAVINE KIRK, INCLUDING KIRKYARD WALL, GATE, AND GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 02/12/2022 09:30