Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

BROOMHILL HOUSE WITH WALLED GARDEN AND HORSEMILLLB19726

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
16/03/1971
Local Authority
Scottish Borders
Planning Authority
Scottish Borders
Parish
Selkirk
NGR
NT 48326 29680
Coordinates
348326, 629680

Description

Late 18th century, 2-storey and attic, 3-bay farmhouse, extended circa 1820 with wing at right angles to SW forming L-plan, and service wing adjoining to NW to rear. Interior also remodelled at this time. Circa 1930 single-storey pavilion added to NW of circa 1820 wing. Harled with red sandstone margins.

SW ELEVATION: porch in re-entrant angle of circa 1820 wing, with 2-leaf panelled door and decorative fanlight with cast ornament in spandrels. Half-glazed inner door. Windows flanking to each floor, enlarged to earlier house. Advanced SW gable of wing pedimented with 2 windows to each floor. Single bay pavilion adjoining to NW. Service range recessed, window to each floor, modern attic dormer.

NE ELEVATION: rear; 2 windows at ground, tall stair window to centre at 1st floor, with enlarged window to left, window to right. 2-storey and attic service block adjoining advanced gable with door at ground and window to each floor of gable, NE elevation blank. Sash case windows with 12-pane glazing pattern. Grey slates, coped skews, ashlar stacks with simple cornice.

INTERIOR: extended and remodelled circa 1820, with fine plasterwork and chimneypieces. Some mid-20th century alterations. Entrance hall with scalloped ceiling rose, elaborate cornice with scroll, bead and Gothic pendentive motifs, continued across bracing arch. Simple cornice to stairwell, spiral stair with foliate cast-iron balusters. Principal rooms at ground and 1st floor with fine scroll and acanthus leaf cornices, circa 1820 fire surrounds of wood and composition with marble strips, classical style with frieze incorporating naturalistic ornament. WALLED GARDEN: to SW rubble coped, rubble walls, gates with stone overthrows to NE and SW, gates later.

HORSEMILL: at rear of house, formerly served now largely demolished steading to NE, recently restored. 6 rubble piers with ashlar dressings, supporting slated conical roof.

Statement of Special Interest

Broomhill was formerly a working farm; the steading and associated cottages are now in separate ownership. The remodelling of the farmhouse in 1820 was probably by Edinburgh craftsmen; the interior plasterwork closely resembles interiors in Dundas Street, Edinburgh, and in Portobello, of circa 1820. The fire surrounds are also of a type made in Edinburgh circa 1820, by an as yet unknown firm of plasterers. The cast-iron stair balusters are a pattern commonly seen in the west.

References

Bibliography

J Ainslie, map of Selkirkshire, 1772. OS map, Selkirkshire, 1863.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BROOMHILL HOUSE WITH WALLED GARDEN AND HORSEMILL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 06/10/2022 11:58