Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

EGILSAY, HOWAN HOUSE, INCLUDING REMAINS OF SERVICE COURTLB19664

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
08/11/1995
Local Authority
Orkney Islands
Planning Authority
Orkney Islands
Parish
Rousay And Egilsay
NGR
HY 47791 29239
Coordinates
347791, 1029239

Description

Late 17th century. 2-storey, 3-bay rectangular-plan traditional laird?s house forming part of S range of U-plan courtyard; roofless single storey service wings forming N and E ranges; W curtain wall to courtyard missing. Harled rubble flagstone. Crowstepped gables; contrasting sandstone quoins; chamfered reveals.

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central 2-storey lean-to porch and stairtower (roof missing); double width doorway and window at ground to left return; window at 1st floor above; windows to both floors in right return; 2 doorways at ground and 1st floor behind porch. Single windows irregularly disposed to both floors in flanking bays. 3-bay single storey wing adjoining to outer right; single window to each bay.

N (COURTYARD) ELEVATION: irregular size and disposition of windows to both floors in each of 3 bays; stump of curtain wall and arched gateway between bays to centre and outer right. Single storey wing adjoining to outer left; wall largely collapsed; central crowstepped gable now missing.

W ELEVATION: irregularly disposed windows at ground, 1st floor (blocked) and in gablehead.

E ELEVATION OF MAIN HOUSE: fireplace at ground (see interior below); raggles for flag slate roof; single window set in gablehead.

E RANGE OF COURTYARD: single storey drystone store.

N RANGE OF COURTYARD: roofless remains of gabled wing.

12-pane timber sash and case window to S ground floor outer right and N 1st floor, outer left. Flag slate roof; corniced gablehead stacks;

beaked skewputts; skewputt to NE initialled "WD MM" (William Douglas and wife Marjorie Monteith).

INTERIOR: largely derelict, but timber joists and floor to 1st floor remain. E doorway of S wall architraved with decorative carved lintol inscribed "16.AMICIS.ET.GENIO.81"; badly weathered stone fireplace with fluted jambs to W gable; rollmoulded stone fireplace to W gable of single storey wing (formerly bore the arms and initials of Robert Monteith and Katherine Nisbet, dated 1635).

Statement of Special Interest

Derelict for over 50 years (1995). As part of the Bishopric estate, the whole of Egilsay was feued to the Monteith family in the 16th century. On the marriage of Majorie Monteith to William Douglas, Chamberlain of Orkney, commemorated in the initialled skewputt, the island passed to the Douglas family.

References

Bibliography

HLN Smith ARMORIALS OF THE COUNTY OF ORKNEY (1902), pp102-105, p111, p113; RCAHMS ORKNEY INVENTORY, VOL 2 (1946), p229 and illustration facing p250; NMRS Photographic Collection, refs: 0/154, 0/155, 0/557;

J Gifford BUILDINGS OF SCOTLAND - HIGHLANDS AND ISLANDS (1992), p298.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to EGILSAY, HOWAN HOUSE, INCLUDING REMAINS OF SERVICE COURT

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 05/10/2022 00:33