Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

MONREITH, MYRTON CHAPELLB19565

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
17/12/1979
Local Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Planning Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Parish
Mochrum
NGR
NX 36099 43365
Coordinates
236099, 543365

Description

Pre 1848. Small former chapel, adjoined to former stable block. Chapel in slightly lower gabled jamb, adjoined at centre to W elevation of rectangular-plan stable block. Rubble. Red sandstone ashlar dressings; droved chamfered margins; crowsteps and skewputts.

Slightly graded grey slates. Red sandstone ridge. Roof extended below eaves line of stable block.

W ELEVATION: pointed-arched window, blinded with rubble. Ashlar cross advanced in gablehead. Birdcage bellcote at apex (no bell).

N RETURN: pointed-arched window; partly blinded with rubble, glazed at apex with Y-traceried glazing.

S RETURN: blank.

INTERIOR: remains of stable stall. Modern plasterboard ceiling.

Statement of Special Interest

Symson, writing in 1684, states that Myrton "hath an old Chapel" (quoted in SCRAPBOOK). On the OS Maps of 1906 and 1982, "Myretoun Chapel (in Ruins)" refers to an apparently roofless, small, freestanding building to the north east of the stable block. An

article in the SCRAPBOOK relates that there is "preserved behind the stables a small rectangular and roofless building of indeterminate date which tradition says was the castle chapel, now ultilized (if it ever was a chapel) as a convenient screen for a water tank"; several other articles refer to the chapel as a roofless ruin in the stable yard. Some rubble walls still remain to the north east of the stable yard, which are possibly the remains of the early chapel referred to above. According to the written evidence therefore, the gabled chapel now

evident as such jamb is not the original chapel; by the evidence of the fabric, it appears that the former has been added onto the stable block, probably before 1848, as the jamb is marked on the OS Map of 1848. See separate listings for Monreith; Monreith House; Ice House; Myrton Cottage (Monreith Estate Office); Myrton Castle; West Gateway.

References

Bibliography

OS Map 1850, Wigtownshire, Sheet 29 (surveyed 1848). P H M'Kerlie

HISTORY OF THE LANDS AND THEIR OWNERS IN GALLOWAY Vol I (1870) pp 234, 242, Vol II (1877) p 267. OS Map 1909, Wigtownshire, Sheet XXXSE (surveyed 1906). SCRAPBOOK (1936), relating to Mochrum parish, in possession of Minister. THIRD STATISTICAL ACCOUNT Vol 14 (1965) p 432. OS Map 1983, Sheet NX34SE (surveyed 1982). AN INVENTORY OF GARDENS AND DESIGNED LANDSCAPES IN SCOTLAND (1987) Vol 2, p97.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to MONREITH, MYRTON CHAPEL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/06/2022 06:11