Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

RHU VILLAGE, CUMBERLAND AVE, 1-10 (INCLUSIVE NOS) CUMBERLAND TERRACE, WITH PERIMETER WALLS AND GATEPIERSLB19500

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
12/02/1990
Local Authority
Argyll And Bute
Planning Authority
Argyll And Bute
Parish
Rhu
NGR
NS 26851 84091
Coordinates
226851, 684091

Description

Circa 1870. Long rectangular-plan symmetrical terrace of 10 houses; 2-storey, 14 bays with 2 end pavilion bays advanced. White harled with painted ashlar cill band courses; half-piend dormerheads; gabled timber anopy porches; timber mullions and jambs.

S (MAIN) ELEVATION: advanced, mirror-image piend roofed outer bays, bipartite window at ground right and left respectively with door to right at W and left at E. 4-panelled wooden door with 3-pane letterbox fanlight; simple bargeboards to gabled canopy over door supported on chamfered wooden posts. Bipartite dormerheaded windows at centre at 1st floor, piended dormerhead supported on slender wooden brackets. 12-bay long range of 8 houses arranged in blocks of 3 bays. Paired

doors at centre bay with M-gabled canopy-porches; 4-panelled wooden doors with 3-pane latterbox fanlight (nos 4,5,6,8,9 have modern doors). Swept-roofed dormerhead at centre above doors; windows symmetrically disposed in flanking bays; piended dormerheaded windows at 1st floor.

N (REAR) ELEVATION: some alterations, new windows.

Swept-roofed dormers. Lean-to garden sheds built against rubble wall bounding School Road.

E AND W ELEVATIONS: projecting chimney breasts flanking bipartite window at centre 1st floor; lean-to shelter at ground.

8-pane sash and case windows; 6-pane for swept roof dormerheads, some modern windows at rear. Steep slate roof, cast-iron finials. Coped rendered ridge stacks with tall paired wallhead stacks on side elevations.

INTERIOR: not seen 1993.

GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALL: rubble boundary wall with harl pointing and semi-circular coping. Wall bounding School Road higher to accommodate lean-to sheds. Entrance on Cumberland Avenue, rounded gatepiers with harl pointing, red sandstone cornice, domed rubble and harled cap.

Statement of Special Interest

Cumberland Terrace was built to accommodate officers serving on board the Clyde training ship 'HMS Cumberland' which had been purchased after the passing of the Industrial Schools Act in 1866, and anchored off Rhu. She was a ship-of-line battleship, a three-decker with 70 guns, and could hold 400 boys in training for recruitment in the Royal Navy. In 1889 the Cumberland perished by fire. She was succeeded by

the 'HMS Empress' one of the last wooden men-of-war, which remained in the bay until 1923.

References

Bibliography

F A Walker & Fiona Sinclair NORTH CLYDE ESTUARY (1992) p90. OS 2nd edition map 1897.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to RHU VILLAGE, CUMBERLAND AVE, 1-10 (INCLUSIVE NOS) CUMBERLAND TERRACE, WITH PERIMETER WALLS AND GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 30/09/2022 08:22