Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

NEW LUCE PARISH CHURCH, GRAVEYARD, GRAVEYARD WALLS AND WAR MEMORIALLB19380

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
20/07/1972
Local Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Planning Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Parish
New Luce
NGR
NX 17527 64506
Coordinates
217527, 564506

Description

Circa 1821; restored and refurbished by David Jardine, 1965. Hall church. Painted rubble. Mainly round-arched windows, several square windows. Chamfered margins. Coped skews. Slightly graded grey slates. Modern vestry and porch adjoined to W; pebble-dashed, concrete dressings and slate roof. W (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: single storey gabled vestry and porch at ground at centre; corniced doorpiece, raised through eaves, to far right to S return, with architraved doorway and double-leaf door; round-arched bipartite window to W; 2 windows to N return. Small round-arched window above. Birdcage bellcote, with small bell; corniced eaves and base, curved pyramidal roof and ball finial.

S ELEVATION: 4-bay (1-2-1). Large round-arched windows in bays to left and right of centre, flanking flat-coped buttress at centre. Square windows at ground in outer bays.

E ELEVATION: round-arched doorway at centre at ground floor. Round-arched window above.

N ELEVATION: 3-bay. Round-arched windows in outer bays. Mural tablet, dated 1756, at ground at centre; square window above.

INTERIOR: oblong hall. Painted plaster walls and boarded dadoes. Coombed ceiling; delicate plaster rose. Modern pulpit (post 1965 ?). Timber communion table (post 1934). Modern vestibule advanced to W. Marble mural tablet to N wall. Simple coloured and watered glass patterns to leaded geometric-pane glazing.

GRAVEYARD: some fine 18th century monuments; mainly 19th century monuments.

GRAVEYARD WALLS: rubble wall, with rubble coping. Square rubble gatepiers to W, with red sandstone pyramidal-capping, built as continuation of wall; simple double-leaf iron gates. War Memorial set into recess in W wall, to S of gates. Piece of gravestone (?) built into wall to N.

WAR MEMORIAL: circa 1919. Celtic cross war memorial. Ashlar. Simple Celtic cross set on pedestal. Base of cross inscribed "1914 - 1918". W face of pedestal inscribed "To the glory of God and in loving memory of the men connected with this parish who fell in the Great War" and with names. Stepped platform. Canted ashlar wall behind, recessed into graveyard; rear wall inscribed "Their name liveth for evermore".

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such; Church of Scotland. The present Church was erected on the site of the former parish church, which was known as the Moor Kirk of Luce. According to Hay, New Luce Parish Church was built in 1816, although the NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT gives the date of construction as about 1821, stating that the Church could accommodate 400. The interior was recast in 1878. The Church was renovated and reseated in 1965 by David Jardine of Stranraer (plaque in Church). New Luce was linked with Old Luce on 10 March 1969, under the ministry of Old Luce.

References

Bibliography

S R O RHP 4605/1 "A Plan of the Earl of Stair's Estate lying in the Parish of New Luce" (1794). NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT Vol IV (1845) Wigton, p 78. P H M'Kerlie HISTORY OF THE LANDS AND THEIR OWNERS IN GALLOWAY Vol I (1870) p 211. G Hay THE ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTTISH POST-REFORMATION CHURCHES 1560 - 1843 (1957) p 277. THIRD STATISTICAL ACCOUNT Vol 14 (1965) p 442. D F M MacDonald (ed) FASTI ECCLESIAE SCOTICANAE Vol X (1981) p 95.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to NEW LUCE PARISH CHURCH, GRAVEYARD, GRAVEYARD WALLS AND WAR MEMORIAL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 30/05/2024 08:43