The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.
Address/Name of Site
LEWS CASTLE, LODGES ,BOUNDARY WALLS, SEA WALLS AND TOWER NEAR STORNOWAY HARBOUR INCLUDING CUDDY POINTLB19206
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Date Added
- Local Authority
- Na h-Eileanan Siar
- Planning Authority
- Na h-Eileanan Siar
- NB 42131 33002
- 142131, 933002
Extensive series of bounary walls/sea walls bounding policies of Lews Castle (Lady Lever Park) and providing a driveway along the sea front; likely to date mostly from circa 1845 onwards (in which year Matheson began work in Lewis), and probably (in substantial measure, at least) involved the architect Charles Wilson in their design; he was most likely involved too with design of the LODGE, at the seagate opposite Stornoway Harbour. Walls at CUDDY POINT built 1868 in a separate phase of building (Wilson dies 1863).
LODGE: single storey, 3-bay T-plan front facing the town, doorway formerly in both re-entrant angles of centre gable (so it may originally have been a double cottage); doorway at left now blocked, survivor in right hand side (panelled door, fanlight); gabled slate roofs; furtherrange to rear in twin-gabled south flank elevation, canted ground floor window at left. Neo-Jacobean fireclay finials over gable heads. WALLS: are rubble-built, including crenellations and intermittent, slightly taller and projecting turrets; larger square tower terminates wall at north, and har altered/added top storey in timber; square-plan, a dummy tower house with crenellated parapet, rock-faced and raises quoins; entrance at left hand side of west wall.
At CUDDY POINT, a large flat area has been formed on a base of natural reef; this extension to the original scheme commemorated by an inscription panel "This wall at Cuddy Point is erected by me Anne Mary Perceval as a memento of deer(sic) love and gratitude to the best of sons-in-law Sir James Matheson Bart MP in commemoration of the anniversary of his silver-wedding-day kept at Lews Castle Nov 19th 1868". At the north end is a slipway with pair steel cran-hoists for lifeboat; modern shed at head of slip. Brick-corbelled bartizans.
No Bibliography entries for this designation
About Listed Buildings
Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.
We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.
Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)
Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.
These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.
While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.
If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.
Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at email@example.com.