Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

VALLEYFIELD WOOD, POLICIES OF VALLEYFIELD HOUSE, WALLED GARDEN, HA-HA TO N, GATEWAY TO W AND BRIDGE TO W OF CANALLB19120

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
30/06/1992
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Parish
Torryburn
NGR
NT 00497 87392
Coordinates
300497, 687392

Description

Components of Repton's pleasure grounds, designed as artificial elements in contrast to the surrounding picturesque scenery, circa 1800-1804.

WALLED FLOWER GARDEN: a slightly later design development within the circa 1800-04 period. Rectangular, walls on 3 sides, canal enclosing to S. Walls random rubble, brick lined, with droved ashlar dressings and polished sandstone ashlar dressings to entrances. Remains of storage chambers, 2 with brick groin vaults at N side of N wall. Enclosed within walled garden is a formal

TERRACE: with symmetrical flights of stairs, swept on convex curves, with polished ashlar moulded treads, squared and stugged rubble piers, stugged copings and brick patching. Enclosing walled garden to N is a

HA-HA: and AVENUE OF TREES; acting as a screen to conceal the walled garden from the carriage drive (see NOTES).

ARCHED GATEWAY: to W, picturesque "ruined" gateway with droved ashlar abnd rubble masonry, wide raised margin to lower base-course.

CANAL/FISHPOND:(NT003874) enclosing walled garden to S. Long, narrow formal strip; sluice to E. Bluther Burn forks to W to surround vescica-shaped island (illustrated in the Red Book plan).

WEIR: at S end of island.

BRIDGE TO W (NT0033 8748): early 19th century, single span arched and keyblocked footbridge, sandstone ashlar, raised margin at arch voussoirs, parapet rebuilt in concrete.

Statement of Special Interest

Valleyfield House and stables were demolished in 1918; the estate has been extensively developed and subdivided leaving only a tiny portion of the designed landscape which represents the only Scottish commission of landscape architect Sir Humphrey Repton, although he never visited Scotland, instead his two sons John Adey and George Stanley acted as agents making the necessary site visits. Today the area of interest, including features of Repton's original landscape, is mainly confined to the area on the OS map sheet NT 08NW, grid 0087. The site was acquired by Dunfermline District Council in 1988 as a country park.

The West Lodge is listed in Culross Parish, the East Lodge has been demolished. An addition to the "Red Book" manuscript dated 14 December 1801, in a hand other than Repton's, describes the WALLED GARDEN. The N SCREEN OF TREES was a deliberate component of Repton's design: "the flower garden should not be visible from the roads or general walls about the place" (Tait, p248). The proposed desig for an architectural feature to mark the end of the CANAL as illustrated in the Red Book (a seat flanked by 2 aviaries seems not to have been built.

The CANAL was deliberately artifical; "a serpentine canal would be as absurd as a serpentine garden wall, or a serpentine bridge" (Red Book extract), Tait p249.

Ruined 2-storey gabled building, of early 19th century date at NT 003875.

References

Bibliography

A A Tait, THE LANDSCAPE GARDEN IN SCOTLAND, 1735-1835, pp179-184 and 242-249 (red Book text), 1980.

LUC INVENTORY OF GARDENS AND DESIGNED LANDSCAPES IN SCOTLAND, vol 4, pp421-426, 1987.

VALLEYFIELD WOOD REPTON LANDSCAPE, Dunfermline District Council, 1991.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to VALLEYFIELD WOOD, POLICIES OF VALLEYFIELD HOUSE, WALLED GARDEN, HA-HA TO N, GATEWAY TO W AND BRIDGE TO W OF CANAL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/06/2022 02:59