Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

CLEAT INCLUDING GATEPIERS AND WALLLB18729

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Group Category Details
100000020 - see notes
Date Added
08/12/1971
Local Authority
Orkney Islands
Planning Authority
Orkney Islands
Parish
Westray
NGR
HY 46440 46770
Coordinates
346440, 1046770

Description

Mid-later 18th century. 3-storey, 3-bay farmhouse with later 2-storey and attic, 3-bay S wing added to SE corner. Single storey and loft wing to NW extends N-wards; single storey building attached to E gable of earlier house with single storey building extending N-wards. Harled elevations; rubble construction exposed in places. Ashlar window surrounds, quoins and eaves course to later S wing.

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 2-bay section of house to left: corniced, ashlar doorpiece to right; doorway partially blocked, inserted window; rectangular fanlight. 1st and 2nd floor windows above to right. Ground floor window to left flank of door; 1st and 2nd floor windows centred above. Ashlar eaves course. Advanced wing to right; 2 ground floor windows; larger 1st floor windows centre above; blocked window to right. Central attic window; ashlar band course below. Single storey building set back to E gable of earlier house; central door. Single storey crowstepped building attached to rear of this; central door; arrowslit opening above.

W ELEVATION: recent build to ground floor partially obscures W gable. 1st floor window to right. S Wing set back to right: 3 ground floor windows, central window blocked; 3 1st floor windows, central window blocked. Rear wing to left: 2 windows to right; window to left.

N ELEVATION: advanced wing to right; forestairs added on to wing gable; loft door to left. Small ground floor window to house in inner angle; small, single 1st and 2nd floor windows above to left. Ground floor window to far left. Advanced single storey building to far left; 2 narrow windows, blocked up.

E ELEVATION: single ground, 1st and 2nd floor windows to left. Advanced S wing to left; 2 ground floor windows; 1st floor window to right; larger 1st floor window to left; blocked central window. Small 2nd floor window to right. Plain gable and elevation to single storey buildings to E. Rear wing set back to right; 2 windows to left section; door and window to right section.

Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows; larger windows at 1st floor. Small 6-pane timber sash and case 2nd floor windows. Some later 4-pane timber sash and case windows. Pitched roofs; corrugated asbestos to house. Coped gable end stacks; circular cans. Flagstone slate roof to single storey wings; rooflights to N wing; crowstepped gable and skews; tall, coped ridge stack. Crowstepped gables; flatstone slate roof to single storey building to NE. Pitched roof; flagstones to E single storey building attached to house E gable.

INTERIOR: not seen, 2000.

GATEPIERS AND WALL

Tall corniced piers; rusticated to S; ball finials stand to left of S gable. Swept rubble wall to left pier runs N and E-wards to form courtyard wall; swept at NE. Lean-to shed attached to W.

Statement of Special Interest

B-Group with Cleat Farm. One of the finest buildings on Westray. Cleat belonged to the Stewarts of nearby Brough House (see separate list). The Stewart family owned the Brough Estate from around the end of the 16th century until the middle of the 19th century. The present Cleat farmhouse replaces one which was burnt down in 1746 by Hanoverian troops led by Benjamin Moodie of Melsetter.

References

Bibliography

M Mackenzie, THE NORTH WEST COAST OF ORKNEY 1750; 1st Edition 25" OS Map (LXXV.16), 1881; L Burgher, ORKNEY, 1991, p96.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CLEAT INCLUDING GATEPIERS AND WALL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 06/10/2022 12:28