Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

TARBOLTON, BURNS STREET, FORMER TOWN HOUSE AND ADJOINING BUILDINGLB18211

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
22/10/2007
Local Authority
South Ayrshire
Planning Authority
South Ayrshire
Parish
Tarbolton
NGR
NS 43094 27262
Coordinates
243094, 627262

Description

1832 Town House and adjoining early 19th century former house (now forming one building).

TOWN HOUSE: 2-storey, roughly 3-bay, piend-roofed block with stone forestair to N (side) elevation. Squared, coursed sandstone with raised sandstone ashlar dressings to principal (W) elevation. Eaves course. Front door to left of principal elevation; 2 ground-floor windows unevenly placed flanking former segmental-arched opening (now filled in); 3 first-floor windows evenly spaced with date panel beneath central cill. Rear (E) elevation with three small evenly spaced openings at first floor.

ADJOINING BUILDING: 2-storey, 3-bay, gabled block with 20th century garage entrance to S (side) elevation and later blocked-in brick forestair to rear (E). Symmetrical principal elevation with central flat-arched doorway. Squared, coursed red sandstone with raised red sandstone ashlar dressings to principal (W) elevation; whitewashed side elevation. Eaves course.

Predominantly 8-pane glazing in fixed timber windows. Ashlar-coped skews. Squat ashlar stacks. Grey slate.

Statement of Special Interest

Two early buildings situated prominently at the heart of Tarbolton and of significance to the history of the town. The 3rd Statistical Account (1951) mentions 'the unimposing Town House, a relic of the burgh of barony created by Charles II, where the annual New Year meeting of the 'Town Council' is still held'. Although the original function of the adjoining building is not known, it is designated 'School' on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map (1854-9), and the construction of the Town House attached to it suggests that it must have been in civic use by 1832. Its long, low proportions and stonework suggest an early 19th century date. The windows of both buildings are largely boarded up.

References

Bibliography

shown on 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map (1854'9). 3rd Statistical Account (1951), p583. Rob Close, Ayrshire & Arran (1992), p144.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to TARBOLTON, BURNS STREET, FORMER TOWN HOUSE AND ADJOINING BUILDING

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 02/10/2022 06:30