Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

MILLEARNE, FORMAL TERRACE GARDEN, WALLED GARDENS AND FONTLB17765

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
09/06/1981
Supplementary Information Updated
25/11/2009
Local Authority
Perth And Kinross
Planning Authority
Perth And Kinross
Parish
Trinity Gask
NGR
NN 92796 16987
Coordinates
292796, 716987

Description

Earlier 19th century. Outstanding survival of exceptional terraced garden formerly fronting Millearne House, small walled garden also terraced, large brick walled garden and font. All Gothic-detailed with fine carvings, piers and gateways.

FORMAL TERRACED GARDEN: sited to E of small walled garden and to W of New Millearne House. N wall with 1828 datestone, armorial panel and base of monumental polygonal 'turret' (possibly part of original house) overlooks site of former Millearne House (now lawn) and coped ashlar terrace wall with elegant carved piers crowned with lion and hunting dog flanking flight of steps. Tudor Gothic gatepiers and timber gates to E. Battlemented walls to E and W.

SMALL WALLED GARDEN: sited between formal terraced garden and large walled garden. High snecked rubble N wall with potting sheds to N elevation and Gothic recesses to S elevation, Gothic gateway in link to large walled garden at W, curved approach wall and lower wall at E. Top terrace with large rectangular-plan pond, terrace wall with centre steps and carved piers at each level, wall punctuated with urns and carved piers with armorial panels.

LARGE WALLED GARDEN: sited to W of small walled garden. Rectangular-plan walled garden dated 1840; high ashlar-coped brick in English garden bond with stone quoins. Ashlar Tudor gateway at centre S carved with pair of shields bearing coats of arms of John George Home Drummond of Millearne and Mary Bothwell Drummond, his wife.

FONT: sited to S of large walled garden Tudor gateway. Probably 1840, possibly designed as sundial. Carved tracery panels to octagonal plinth supporting richly sculptured bowl with alternating Home Drummond coats of arms and stylised foliage.

Statement of Special Interest

B group with Stable Block, South Gate, Ice House and Monument.

The Walled and Formal Gardens at Millearne are key components of the estate and make a significant contribution to the surviving buildings, forming an important group with the Stable Block and Ice House, Monument and South Gate. The Tudor Gothic elements reflect the estate style and the former Millearne House (begun 1821) which was probably by R & R Dickson together with John George Home Drummond. Scotland was slow to adopt the new Tudor Gothic style with few earlier examples than Millearne.

Sited to the west of the large Walled Garden is a substantial Tudoresque Gardener's House. This building was provided to accommodate an expert gardener and may date from 1840 when the western Walled Garden was built to commemorate a family wedding.

Formerly listed as Millearne, Walled Garden. List description revised, formal terraced garden and small walled garden added, font (previously separately listed) incorporated and category changed from C(S) to B (2009).

References

Bibliography

John Gifford The Buildings of Scotland Perth and Kinross (2007), pp81-2, 529-30. 1st and 2nd edition Ordnance Survey Maps (1859-64 and 1894). Alistair Rowan Country Life - Millearne, Perthshire I and II (24 February and 2 March 1972). Ian Gow Scotland's Lost Houses (2006), pp148-159.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to MILLEARNE, FORMAL TERRACE GARDEN, WALLED GARDENS AND FONT

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 06/10/2022 12:15