Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Planning Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
NX 97990 68033
297990, 568033


Composite house, nucleus a 16th century house, 5 additional

building phases until 1823 when tall private chapel block

was added to north. Tower house: L-plan; 3 storeys with

gabled taller jam; mostly roll-moulded openings (bipartites

inserted at south); corbelled parapet encloses roof;

rubble-built with red ashlar dressings. 17th century

addition to south of tower house added in 2 phases, 2

storeys, harled west elevation includes blocked segmental-

arched roll-moulded doorway, single pedimented dormer head

retained. Gabled wing (probably first half of 18th century)

returns east from north end of latter thus completing

U-plan house with open court at east, but latter filled

mid 18th century by neat, symmetrical 3-storey 5-bay house

built of red brick with red ashlar lintels, cills, quoins

and inner bay dressings. Former chapel block is orientated

east-west, and linked to house by low corridor; 2-storeys,

red brick, segmental arched openings to service area at

ground, chapel and priest's room above have openings mostly round-headed; fore-stair on long north wall, lean-to's to

south. Glazing throughout mostly small-paned sashes; all

roofed with graded slates.

Interior: tower house vaulted at ground; chapel has coved

ceiling; pilasters at either end of chapel frame altar

recess and raised family pew. Quadrangular court to rear

(west), ashlar coped brick-built walls linked with tower

house and with chapel; (? circa 1800) brick outbuildings

at west and slated pend.

Statement of Special Interest

Chapel has been de-consecrated. House of Maxwell (later

Maxwell-Witham) of Kirkconnel.

3-storey, 5-bay brick house built for James Maxwell (d.1762)

after his return from the continent circa 1750.




OWNERS IN GALLOWAY, vol V (1879) p.220.

R G Mann, BONNIE GALLAWA' (pub. Dumfries Courier and Herald,

2nd ed. n.d.) p.14 (provides date of chapel)

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to KIRKCONNEL HOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/05/2022 17:40