Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Planning Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
NX 10146 48565
210146, 548565


Early 19th century. Single storey meal mill, 2-storey to N, comprising barn, mill, and kiln. Linear-plan. Pointed rubble with some brick repairs and granite quoins.

W ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 6-bay; 2-storey, 2-bay mill advanced to centre, brick infilled opening formerly for wheel to centre of ground floor, window opening to right, 2 openings to 1st floor; gableted 2-leaf boarded timber door breaking eaves to right return, small 4-pane window to ground floor of left return; small openings to adjoining barn to right; brick infilled doorway flanked and 2 irregular openings to kiln to left.

S ELEVATION: symmetrical; single storey; part brick infilled opening to centre.

E ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 6-bay; single-storey, 2-bay barn with irregular small openings to left; 2-storey, 4-bay mill and kiln to right, large buttress to centre, flanked to left by opening to ground floor and 2 openings above, brick infilled doorway to right of ground floor and irregular openings to remainder of bays to right.


Glazing lost in all but 2-pane skylights. Piended grey slate roof with tiled and lead ridges. Remains of ventilator to ridge to N.

INTERIOR: not seen 1999.

Statement of Special Interest

As noted in Donnachie, the mill ceased working in 1967, and was formerly powered from mill-pond and lade, replaced by turbine power in 1945, in turn replaced by electric motor in 1955. The square cast-iron plates of the kiln were last used in 1963. The mill had 4 sets of stones, 3 for meal, the other for beans. Converted to residential use, 2000.



Ordnance Survey Map, 1850 (evident); F H Groome, ORDNANCE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND, Vol 1, (1882), p69; I Donnachie, THE INDUSTRIAL ARCHAEOLOGY OF GALLOWAY, (1971), p201.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ARDWELL, ARDWELL MILL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 01/06/2023 16:17