Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NJ 37886 61252
337886, 861252


1755, renovated 1787 and early 20th century, restored 1951,

Ian G Lindsay, architect. Simple long, low single storey

building with 10-bay S elevation with regular fenestration.

Harled, ashlar dressings. Plain square-headed entrance in

penultimate SW bay, doorway to sacristy in end E bay. 6

windows in rear N elevation; mainly 12-pane glazing. Ball

finial at W gable apex (circa 1787); stack at E gable; graded

Banffshire slate roof.

INTERIOR: simple whitewashed interior. Principal doorway

opens into entrance lobby with baptistry separated by flat

balustered railings. Doorway to church framed by (? re-used)

corniced doorpiece with fluted Corinthian engaged columns and

closed by pair 18th century fielded panelled doors with

modern partial glazing. Simple grey painted pews and

confessional; chancel separated by turned altar rails and

framed by reeded pilasters supporting simple wooden arch.

Small octagonal pulpit (1787) with octagonal sounding board,

fielded shaped panelling and moulded cornices.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical buiding in use as such.

First surviving Roman Catholic church to be built in Scotland

after the Reformation. Replaced church sited in St Ninian's

burial ground, Chapelford, desecrated by soldiers in 1728.

Built by Father Godsman, incorporating dwelling of a 'poor

woman' as a 'cot for his sheep', as inconspicuous place of

worship. Until the building of St Ninian's, mass had been

celebrated in barns, frequently at night and the priest

travelling the countryside disguised as a farmer. With the

Braes of Glenlivet and the Arisaig-Moidart area of Lochaber,

the Enzie in historically strongly Roman Catholic.

St Ninian's was originally thatched, but slated in 1787,

re-using slates from the abandoned church at Chapelford.

Upgraded B to A, 24.3.88



NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT xii (1842), p. 122. Peter F Anson,


circca 1950).


CHURCHES (1957), pp. 153, 267, pl. 22b. Robert McDonald,


p. nos. Angus J Howat and Mike Seton, CHURCHES OF MORAY

(1981), p. 49.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to TYNET, ROMAN CATHOLIC CHAPEL OF ST NINIAN

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 22/07/2024 03:59