Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

FOCHABERS, SOUTH STREET, ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH AND PRESBYTERYLB1581

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
24/03/1988
Local Authority
Moray
Planning Authority
Moray
Parish
Bellie
NGR
NJ 34659 58613
Coordinates
334659, 858613

Description

J Gillespie Graham, 1826-8, after design by Bishop James

Kyle. Chancel addition, circa 1905. Rectangular, Gothic

building orientated N-S with S gabled entrance front. Tooled

ashlar frontage, mixed rubble flanks, tooled and polished

ashlar dressings.

Main S gable front with central bay marked by stepped

buttresses, rising to panelled, gabletted pinnacles with

stiff-leaf finials, linked at wallhead by pierced balustrade;

gable apex finial. Wide pointed-headed entrance (modern

door), large perpendicular 3-light traceried window above,

similarly detailed 2-light windows in flanking bays,

crenellated wallhead, lattice-pane glazing. 2 tall geometric

tracery windows in E elevation only. Canted chancel (circa

1905) at N gable with paired hoodmoulded windows with

curvilinear tracery. Slate roofs.

INTERIOR: aisless interior with shallow pointed ceiling

supported at intervals by clustered columns continuing across

ceiling as ribs. Cusped panelled front to gallery at S.

Ornately carved and pinnacled reredos and carved marble altar

(1900). Stations of the Cross also 1900.

PRESBYTERY: mid-19th century 2-storey and attic dwelling with

long (rear) E elevation abutting church wall and with regular

3-bay S entrance gable. Mixed rubble, tooled ashlar

dressings. Off-centre entrance with flanking windows and 2

1st floor windows, all under relieving arches; single canted

dormer windows; varied glazing. Coped end stacks; slate

roofs.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such.

Church replaced former RC chapel. Built at instigation of

Father Mattheson, who died before completion. William

Robertson, architect, Elgin, also drew a plan which was

rejected in favour of that by J Gillespie Graham. Robertson

inspected the 'New chapel' on completion.

References

Bibliography

NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT xiii (1842), p.122. George Hay, THE

ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTTISH POST-REFORMATION CHURCHES 1560-1843

(1957), pp 156, 266. Robert McDonald, CHURCHES AND PLACES OF

CATHOLIC INTEREST IN MORAY (1980), no page nos. MORAY AND

NAIRN EXPRESS, 25 May 1886, p 4. BANFFSHIRE HERALD, 8 Aug

1900, p 6. NORTHERN SCOT, 8 Nov 1924, p 2. Scottish Catholic

Archives, Edinburgh; Independent Missions 32/2/2 and 5/14/5;

BL 5/190/12.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to FOCHABERS, SOUTH STREET, ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH AND PRESBYTERY

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 06/10/2022 12:12