Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NJ 34496 58425
334496, 858425


1822-3, probably William Robertson, Elgin. S facing house,

2 storeys and attic over raised basement, 3 bays. Harled,

tooled ashlar margins, polished ashlar dressings. Centre

door reached by splayed flight of steps oversailing raised

basement. Pilastered and corniced doorpiece (cornice

damaged), radial fanlight, panelled door with reeded

detailing to panelling.

Symmetrical fenestration both front and back, single windows

to each attic window; 2 later 19th century canted dormers.

12-pane glazing with slender astragals; 2- and 4-pane to


Bandcourse between raised basement and ground floor; moulded

copes to panelled end stacks; graded Banffshire slate roof;

stone ridge.

INTERIOR: palmette decoration to cast-iron stair balusters;

corniced ceilings; some beaded panelled doors; reeded door

frames with angle rosettes to lintels.

Statement of Special Interest

A manse had been built close by the newly sited Bellie church

in 1788 (11 The Square) which reverted to the Duke of

Gordon's estates when the Minister, Rev John Anderson, who

combined the posts of Commissioner to the Duke of Gordon with

his ministry, demitted office as minister in 1819, thus

necessitating the construction of another manse. The site is

that of the glebe 'excambed' from Bellie circa 1780. The

story comes full circle when The Old Manse was sold in 1952

and No 11 The Square purchased in 1959 to serve again as

parish manse.




SCOT AND MORAY AND NAIRN EXPRESS 3 May, 1924. Scottish Record

Office GD/44/37/39. Further information by courtesy the

present owners.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to FOCHABERS, THE OLD MANSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 03/10/2023 11:04