Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

TRAQUAIR MILL (SAW MILL AND ASSOCIATED BUILDINGS)LB15432

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Group Category Details
100000020 - (see NOTES)
Date Added
01/03/1978
Local Authority
Scottish Borders
Planning Authority
Scottish Borders
Parish
Traquair
NGR
NT 32818 34522
Coordinates
332818, 634522

Description

John Haldane, 1778 with repairs to earlier kiln; later 19th century additions. 2-storey and attic, rectangular-plan vernacular mill building linked to earlier gabled kiln building (on sloped site) by later 2-storey, 3-bay granary and cartshed; later former wheel house to E. Random whinstone rubble with rough sandstone long and short quoins in places; timber lintels to doors and windows with some whinstone lintels. Pitched and piended roofs.

NE (MILL) ELEVATION: entrance door in ground floor left with small window to right and to left of upper doorframe, small square window (aligned with door) to 1st floor. To right, large lean-to (concealing most of mill fenestration) with door to right and window to left; left return partially concealed. Adjoining to left, remains of high lean-to building with lower lean-to adjoining at right angles. Later single storey former wheel building to SE with irregular fenestration and piended corrugated metal roof.

NW (GRANARY AND CART SHED) ELEVATION: to right, single storey building (abutting ground floor of slightly advanced canted-end kiln building) with front-facing entrance door and window to left return; upper storey of kiln with small square window to centre. To centre, later 2-storey cart shed and byre: pair of segmental-headed cart arches to ground floor (with much later 2-leaf rectangular boarded gates covering them); to 1st floor, timber boarded door aligned with central pier of arches, small window flanking. To left, advanced gable-end of mill with chamfered angle to right of blind ground floor; window to right at 1st floor with central window to gablehead, blind canted-end of lean-to adjoining to left.

SW (KILN) ELEVATION: inset into hillside, only upper level visible to right where entrance door with catslide roof rises above eaves, 1?-storey blind centre, 2-storey canted-end to left with small square window set high under eaves.

SE (HILLSIDE) ELEVATION: irregular U-plan elevation mostly blind, advanced blind gabled-end of kiln to left, right return partially concealed by materials; small door to right of central (cartshed) range; to right, advanced blind gabled-end of mill building and remains of lower lean-to at cut out ground floor level, door to right in left return.

Later 4 and 6-pane glazing in timber frames to mill and cartshed; original glazing missing from kiln building. Boarded timber doors to all doorways. Pitched and piended slate roof with lead ridging, flashing and valleys; some later lead roll ridging to kiln building. Painted cast-iron rainwater goods to mill and cartshed; kiln without rainwater goods relying on overhanging eaves instead.

INTERIOR: plain stone interior to mill building (in use as a woodworking workshop) with early room layout and plain stone walls with boarded timber doors. Similar plain stone interiors with timber dressings to other buildings in complex. No original machinery survives.

Statement of Special Interest

Part of a B-Group with Traquair Mill Farmhouse and Outbuildings. One of the earliest recorded owners of a mill on this site was Thomas Halliwell in 1292. A mill, linked with Traquair House was recorded on the Blaeu map of 1654 but it was later rebuilt. The mill was linked with Traquair House but appears to have been tenanted. Legend recalls how a warlock was burned to death near the mill site in 1777 and "the brown rat overran Scotland from there about". John Haldane rebuilt the main mill in 1778. This is the building at the north of the site now in use as a woodworking workshop. He was also responsible for repairing an earlier kiln to the south of the mill; it is inset into the hill side and appears 2-storey at road level but single storey near the top of the hill. The byre and cartshed linking them together was added in the later 19th century, along with a small building to the east of the site, which housed the machinery for the now missing water wheel. The mill lade was channelled from the Quair Water by a sluice aligned with Bush Aboon Traquair (sited to SW of site). The lade ran toward the cottages and mill house and headed NW into a now extinct mill pond (sited on the grassed area high above the mill). The lade then dropped down to power the water wheel before entering the Fingland Burn to the SE of the bridge. It then rejoined the Quair Water. Until the mid-19th century, the mill was in use as a corn mill, by the beginning of the 20th century it was used as a sawmill. Traquair Mill also had a regular visitor in the form of the painter James Eckford Lauder RSA (1811-1869). He did many painting in the surrounding area (see REFERENCES) and one of his pastoral scenes is the interior of the mill with a visitor talking to the miller (whilst his wife prepares refreshments). The mill is still in use as a woodworking workshop and listed as a good example of a vernacular mill complex.

References

Bibliography

J Blaeu, TVEDIA (1654, Tweeddale from ATLAS NOVUS) and W Edgar, THE SHIRE OF PEEBLES OR TWEEDDALE (1741) showing original mill. M Armstrong, COUNTY OF PEEBLES (1775); J Ainslie, THE ENVIRONS OF EDINBURGH, HADDINGTON, DUNS, KELSO, JEDBURGH, HAWICK, SELKIRK, PEEBLES, LANGHOLM AND ANNAN (1821 ? Edinburgh) and J Thomson, PEEBLES-SHIRE (1821, published in ATLAS OF SCOTLAND, 1832) showing present buildings. ROYAL SCOTTISH ACADEMY CATALOGUE, James Eckford Lauder, RA ? 1856, exh 49 ? The Finglin Burn, Traquair; 1858, exh 459 ? The Clintpool, Traquair; 1859, exh 130 ? Traquair Mill; also Interior ? Traquair Mill (undated) inscribed on reverse in pencil "I pledge you my dear fellow, I?m from the North you see." J Buchan, HISTORY OF PEEBLESSHIRE (1925) p523. Additional information courtesy of The Buildings of Scotland, Kitty Cruft.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to TRAQUAIR MILL (SAW MILL AND ASSOCIATED BUILDINGS)

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 23/06/2024 05:44