The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.
Address/Name of Site
DIRLETON VILLAGE, DIRLETON ROAD, CEDAR GROVELB1528
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Date Added
- Local Authority
- East Lothian
- Planning Authority
- East Lothian
- NT 51905 84201
- 351905, 684201
W J Walker Todd, circa 1905. 2-storey square plan house
with single storey wing. Squared and snecked Rattlebag
masonry with red ashlar dressings and band course;
chamfered window arrises; raised quoins.
E ELEVATION: doorway at centre with roll-moulded surround
and ogee lintel. Small heart-shaped light at centre of
door. Small windows flanking. Brick piers supporting
timber balcony across centre and right bays reached by
architraved doorway. Left bays gabled with 2 flat
roofed, splayed oriels with boarded aprons. Blank panel
in gable head.
S ELEVATION: left bays gabled 5-light architraved window
at ground, 7-light above with splayed and aproned window
to centre. Flat-roofed full-height canted 6-light bay
N ELEVATION: M-shaped gable with irregular openings.
Single storey wing to outer right.
Small-pane upper panels to casement windows. Green slates;
swept eaves with simple barge boarding. Decorative
ridge tiles. Chimney pots retained on moulded copings.
INTERIOR: pine panelled doors with moulded architraves.
Coved bedroom ceiling. Timber stairs and balustrade.
Statement of Special Interest
Dick Peddie and McKay plans, Bin 22, Bag 1, No 1884. Built
for James William Watt. Walker Todd later designed the local
authority houses in Fidra Avenue, nearby. Balcony added
later. Currently subdivided. Reputedly commissioned by local
farmer as wedding gift for his daughter.
No Bibliography entries for this designation
About Listed Buildings
Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.
We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.
Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)
Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.
These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.
While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.
If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.
Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.