Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

APPLETREE LEAVES FORMER STABLE AND REMAINS OF LADHOPE TOWERLB15102

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
24/05/1979
Supplementary Information Updated
22/06/2010
Local Authority
Scottish Borders
Planning Authority
Scottish Borders
Parish
Melrose
NGR
NT 49479 36690
Coordinates
349479, 636690

Description

Early to Mid 19th century, gable-ended, rectangular-plan stable block incorporating much reduced fragment of a 16th century tower house to W. Single storey with gableted loft door breaking eaves to N elevation; to right, 2-leaf timber doors to large round-arch opening (early 20th century possibly using stone from tower house); blank rectangular panel inset above. Remnant of tower adjoining to W comprising two 15ft walls of roughly coursed and pinned rubble with evidence of 1st floor corbelling to inner faces.

Large 2-leaf timber door with further single door to left at S elevation.

Grey slate. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

Statement of Special Interest

The remains of 16th century Ladhope Tower were incorporated into the Appletree Leaves farmsteading in the early to mid 19th century. The building is sited prominently on high ground at the entrance to the Galashiels Golf Club on the W slope of Blaikie's Hill. The single-storey 2-wall remnant of the tower retains evidence of corbelling which formerly carried a mezzanine floor, suggesting the tower was originally vaulted to ground as seen at nearby Hillslap and Buckholm towers (see separate listings).

Previously belonging to Melrose Abbey, the land at Ladhope was feued to a family called Darling in 1577 and the tower is likely to have been built around that time. The building as a whole is currently used by the Galashiels Golf Club as a ground-keepers store.

Previously listed as 'Ladhope Tower Appletreeknowe'. Change of category from B to C(S) and list description updated at resurvey (2010).

References

Bibliography

1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1856-9). Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland, Inventory of Roxburghshire: Vol. II (1956) p 295.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to APPLETREE LEAVES FORMER STABLE AND REMAINS OF LADHOPE TOWER

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/06/2021 09:21