Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

LUGTON WALLED GARDENS, HEAD GARDENER'S HOUSELB1433

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
09/03/1992
Local Authority
Midlothian
Planning Authority
Midlothian
Parish
Dalkeith
NGR
NT 32842 67807
Coordinates
332842, 667807

Description

Mid-later 19th century. 2-storey, with 1st floor breaking eaves, asymmetrical gabled house with Tudor details. Bull-faced grey ashlar polished dressings. Hoodmoulded openings. Moulded reveals and chamfered cills. Bipartite windows, transomed at ground floor.

E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVARION: 3-bay. Gabled porch at centre, set in re-entrant angle formed with advanced gabled bay to left; hoodmould stepped over shield inscribed with monogram "BQ"; small single light window to right return. Regularly disposed fenestration at ground and 1st floors, dormerheaded windows at 1st floor in bays to right and centre.

S ELEVATION: 2-bay. Regularly disposed fenestration, dormerheaded windows at 1st floor.

N ELEVATION: window at ground and 1st floors in gabled bay to left. 2 single light windows to slightly recessed lower wing to right, gabled to W.

W ELEVATION: boarded door and window at 1st floor in gabled bay to right. Lower wing advanced to left.

Large horizontal-pane glazing pattern in casement windows. Gablet-coped skews and beak skewputts to gableheads and dormerheads. Octagonal grouped ridge stacks. Grey slates. Some original rainwater goods.

Statement of Special Interest

A-Group with Lugton Walled Gardens (formerly to Dalkeith House), Dalkeith Park, Dalkeith House and other estate ancillary buildings (see separate listings). This building is not shown on the OS Map 1852-53 although the style is reminiscent of work 30 years earlier. Lugton Garden House is in the style of William Burn. It was converted to provide educational and office accommodation in 1989. The brick wall of Dalkeith Estate's former walled garden is situated to the E.

References

Bibliography

OS Map 1852-53.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to LUGTON WALLED GARDENS, HEAD GARDENER'S HOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 02/10/2022 06:44