Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NT 25388 86368
325388, 686368


Hippolyte J Blanc, 1886; John Rhind, sculptor. 3-stage, 28' high, cross-finialled, shafted memorial of red Peterhead granite set on natural bedrock and surmounted by bronze Celtic Cross. 2-tier base below pedestal with moulded panel to N face worded:


Battered coping giving way to reduced 2nd stage with bronze figured sculpture to N, topped with small recessed panel to each face bearing heraldic shields as follows:

W face with Arms of Scotland and of Comte de Dreux; E face with Lion Rampant of Scotland and 3 Lions of England; S face with Scottish National Emblem of St Andrew on Cross; N face with Arms of Scotland.

Square-plan shaft above with engaged colonnettes to angles, each face trefoil-headed and corniced; moulded gablet cope with carved tympanum supporting foliate cross.

Statement of Special Interest

Alexander III met his death on or near the spot which tradition has attached to the Black Stone upon which this monument is erected. Various versions of his death abound but seem to agree that it resulted from a fall from his horse on a stormy night. Previously a stone cross marked the site but this was ruinous by the 19th century and Professor Bruce, owner of Kingswood lands, proposed a replacement as early as the 1840s. Interest was renewed by 1885 when donations were received from Queen Victoria (?15) and the Burntisland Oil Company (?10), the total cost being ?330. The memorial was unveiled on 19th July 1887, by the Earl of Elgin and Kincardine, Lord Lieutenant of Fife. Inside the pedestal is a jar containing items representative of the late Victorian period, including issues of various newspapers and coins. Stone was obtained from the Pentland and Solway Firths, most northerly and southerly limits of Alexander's kingdom, and from Dunfermline where he is buried. Up-graded C(S) to B 31.3.95.



D A Marshall THE BLACK STONE. Gifford FIFE (1992), p272.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to KINGHORN ROAD, ALEXANDER III MONUMENT

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 02/10/2022 07:04