Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

CARDROSS, MAIN ROAD, MANSE WITH BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEPIERSLB128

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
08/09/1980
Local Authority
Argyll And Bute
Planning Authority
Argyll And Bute
Parish
Cardross
NGR
NS 34972 77267
Coordinates
234972, 677267

Description

Earlier 19th century with later alterations by James Honeyman 1869-70; further alterations, 1897. 2-storey gabled Tudorbethan manse; rectangular-plan. Stugged, squared and snecked sandstone, ashlar margins and dressings. Base course; eaves course;

SE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 4 bays asymmetrically disposed; advanced gable in penultimate bay to right forming 3-bay L-plan elevation with 4th slightly advanced piend-roofed bay to outer right. Blank outer left bay, blind arrowslit at ground, corbelled wallhead stack breaking eaves. Gabled porch in re-entrant angle to left of centre (advanced beyond gable to right) with Tudor-arched entrance, panelled door, carved ribbon in gablehead; Tudor-arched window on left return; ashlar coping to skews and skewputts. Narrow window at 1st floor above. Broad gable to right, broader window at ground, window at 1st floor; window to both floors of bay to outer right.

SW ELEVATION: 2-bay, near-symmetrically disposed M-gable; gabled single storey block recessed on side elevation on left. Full-height canted wing, blocking course at centre of right gable. Gable to left, slightly projecting bipartite at ground, stepped blocking course, window at 1st floor.

NW ELEVATION: rubble, single storey gabled wing off-centre to right at ground, window on right return. 2 windows at 1st floor to left of centre, window at ground outer left.

NE ELEVATION: harled and wet dash; single storey wing.

Plate glass timber sash and case windows on SW elevation; 4-pane over 8-lying-pane timber sash and case windows on entrance and other elevations. Grey slate roofs, ashlar coping to skews and skewputts; ashlar coped wallhead stacks.

BOUNDARY WALLS, GATES AND GATEPIERS: sandstone gatepiers, stop- chamfered arrises, pyramidal caps; pedestrian gate to outer left; cast-iron gates. Curved stugged sandstone walls with ashlar saddleback coping.

Statement of Special Interest

An earlier manse had existed on the site dating from 1733. It is likely that the manse was completely rebuilt by Rev William Dunn after 1838. In 1869 James Honeyman carried out improvements to the adjacent church and manse. The adjacent former parish church, and the present parish church on Station Road are listed separately.

References

Bibliography

Arthur F JONES CARDROSS, THE VILLAGE IN DAYS GONE BY (1985), p14.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CARDROSS, MAIN ROAD, MANSE WITH BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/06/2022 02:41