Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

SWINDRIDGEMUIRLB1254

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
14/04/1971
Local Authority
North Ayrshire
Planning Authority
North Ayrshire
Parish
Dalry (N Ayrshire)
NGR
NS 31958 49842
Coordinates
231958, 649842

Description

Probably David Hamilton, architect. Circa 1815. 2 storeys

over basement, with attic, 3-bay classical house. Droved

ashlar with polished margins and channelled basement.

Giant clasping pilasters at all angles. Central door in

shallow advanced bay approached by broad splayed flight of

steps with delicate cast-iron railing. 2 pairs of Ionic

columns support entablature. Cill course to ground floor.

All windows with moulded architrves and rosettes, ground

floor windows corniced. 12-pane sashes throughout. Mutule

cornice with blocking course, raised over central bay and

end pilasters. 2 small later dormers. Boldly grouped

central stacks, piended slate roof.

Interior: Entrance hall with good plaster cornice and

enriched ceiling, Roman Doric screen between hall and

stair compartment. Simply detailed cast-iron balusters to

stair, oval cupola above with Vitruvian Scroll decoration

at its base. Characteristic period detail to reeded

architrves. Some original chimneypieces.

Statement of Special Interest

NSA Vol V p. 220 "Castles and Mansions of Ayrshire". A H

Millar.

"Topographical Description of Ayrshire", 1820. p. 246.

George Robertson.

References

Bibliography

NSA Vol V p. 220 "Castles and Mansions of Ayrshire". A H

Millar.

"Topographical Description of Ayrshire", 1820. p. 246.

George Robertson.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to SWINDRIDGEMUIR

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 22/09/2021 04:17