Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

ALEXANDRIA, SMOLLETT FOUNTAIN WITH LAMP STANDARDSLB1134

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
22/07/1974
Local Authority
West Dunbartonshire
Planning Authority
West Dunbartonshire
Parish
Bonhill
NGR
NS 39022 80213
Coordinates
239022, 680213

Description

Anderson & McLeod, 1870; renovated and cleaned 1995. Ruskinian Gothic fountain in mercat cross form. 3 tiers; blocky quatrefoil-plan base, pedestal base; squat grey granite corner columns, sandstone floreate capitals; supporting richly-carved sandstone parapet; grotesque waterspouts; SA monogram; sandstone fountain on each side; inscribed panel; inscription "erected in honour of Alexander Smollett of Bonhill by his feuers and tenants and other friends in the county to prepetuate his name as a kind and just landlord and in appreciation of valuable services rendered to the county both in the local courts and as its representative in parliament AD 1870". Founatain rises in 2 stages; clustered banded pink granite shaft supporting sandstone parapet, griffin guttae; faceted column supporting cap; lead pelican finial.

RAILINGS: modern cast-iron railings arrowhead railings surrounding fountain.

LAMPS: concrete base; cast-iron lamp standard; modern high-Victorian style lanterns.

Statement of Special Interest

The fountain was built to commemorate the philanthropy of Alexander Smollett, landlord and local MP.

References

Bibliography

F A Walker and F Sinclair NORTH CLYDE ESTUARY (1992), p40.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ALEXANDRIA, SMOLLETT FOUNTAIN WITH LAMP STANDARDS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/10/2021 18:27